New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Please sign this petition to stop the UK government abolishing help for the sick and disabled

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Countrygirl, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    This new move by the UK government seriously impacts the ability of ME patients over the age of 64 to survive.

Attendance Allowance is a vital life-line for those who are of retirement age and in poor health. I know from personal experience how vital it was to enable my elderly mother and aunt to fund some very basic necessities. After just losing both my mum and her sister and battling through several years of helping them survive when too disabled through ill health, dementia, strokes, paralysis, and other very disabling conditions, I am only too well aware how devastating this new move by the UK government will be on this country's most vulnerable. Those over 64 with ME rely on this benefit to enable them to survive the often severe disablement that is inflicted by this miserable disease.

If you live in the UK, please consider signing this petition to stop the government making this heartless move.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petiti...?source=facebook-share-button&time=1453078574

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  2. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    @Countrygirl - I tried to sign (I'm in the U.S.) and it asks for a "post code" - it would not accept my zip code, so I think only UK citizens can sign. You might put that in the title of the post.

Countrygirl likes this.
  3. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Okay! Thanks for trying to sign, Mary. I will add that to the post.

4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

Signed.

Countrygirl likes this.
  5. mermaid

mermaid Senior Member

Cornwall, UK
    I have signed and shared. My mother receives this and my father before when he was alive. Another underhand cut - one of so many sadly. :(

Countrygirl likes this.
  6. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

It was bad enough when they stopped people claiming the mobility component payment of this benefit once over 64. If you lost a leg over 64 its was like "oh well we all slow down on our feet over 64, no big deal". Or somehow over 64 you don't need to be able to shop for food or go out of the house.

Now they are trying to cut the care needs component its pure genocide. Its so ironic as they have raised the retirement age to 67 and are trying to push it up to 70 on the basis that people are "fitter" longer and live longer, yet if you become disabled at 64 you no longer qualify as disabled presumably due to 64 being "a ripe old age and declining generalized physical ability".

This move will also prohibit people in their own family who care for them fulltime claiming carers allowance as well as the person themselves having to lose a free bus pass if they cannot walk. They now have to wait until retirement age to get the buss pass.

Its so shocking I know someone who is in her 50s and down syndrome, she always received high mobility allowance which also qualified her for a free bus pass. At the last review when they changed the name of the benefit to "Personal Independence Payments" they cut her down to low mobility payments which also means she lost her buss pass. How the F*** does that make her more independent?

Alot of these reforms are done to stop access to other connected benefits and it is being done by stealth.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Chrisb and Countrygirl like this.
  7. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

Strange isn't it how they wish to cut the benefits for the ill and disabled but refuse to do anything about the benefits paid to wealthy pensioners, whose pensions may be substantially greater than most working people's salary? Sometimes it appears that politicians and civil servants will fight only to preserve their own perks.

8. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Just want to be certain, so if we are in the US, we cannot sign the petition? What a bummer and this new cutting of benefits sounds like genocide to me.

See more popular forum discussions.