• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please sign this Change.org presidential petition: LEGALIZE LYME!

Antares in NYC

This is a great petition letter, very clearly listing all the problems that keep patients from receiving proper care and treatments. It's worth signing:

https://www.change.org/p/barack-obama-legalize-lyme-disease

Lyme disease has reached epidemic proportions.

It is the fastest growing infectious bacterial disease in America. Generally contracted by a tick bite, new evidence shows it is contractable via mosquito, spider, or fly bite, via the womb from mother to child, or through unprotected sex.

The CDC states that it does not know how many people have Lyme disease. Their latest estimates are between 300,000 and 1 million new cases per year. This does not include sufferers of Lyme in its chronic state which they simply claim does not exist.

When Lyme disease is not treated early, it can be debilitating, even fatal. The spiral-shaped bacteria (Borrelia) slowly bore their way through every organ, causing damage wherever they go. The bacteria knowingly avoid treatment areas in the body and by changing their shape, mimic non-threatening cells. They create biofilms to protect themselves from antibiotics and your body's natural immune response.

Unfortunately, the CDC-approved test available for early detection fails between 35-50% of the time. And due to poor funding for research, effective treatments are experimental, often long-lasting, and only available for those who can afford to pay for them out of pocket. Lyme Literate Medical Doctors (LLMDs) who do practice life-saving treatments for Lyme patients are forced to operate outside of the insurance industry, for risk of being shut down.

Since there is such little information available to the medical industry, thousands, possibly millions of patients suffer from Lyme for years before they receive a diagnosis. By then, many have been misdiagnosed with any of the over 300 other diseases that Lyme mimics. They have lost their jobs and are on disability. Some do not see any way out of their chronic pain and anguish other than suicide. This cannot continue.

The CDC and IDSA have failed to control Lyme disease. As sufferers, and care-takers, friends, family, co-workers of those who are suffering, we urgently request from the President and all members of Congress:

1. Legislation Expanding The Definition Of Lyme Disease To Cover Chronic Lyme And Co-infections

2. Legislation Protecting Doctors Who Treat Chronic Lyme And Co-infections From Insurance Industry-driven Investigation And Shut-down

3. Heavily Increased Funding For Research Into Chronic Lyme Disease And Co-infections

4. Greatly Improved Testing With High Accuracy Rates (As Seen With Ebola And Other Infectious Diseases)

5. Re-education Of Doctors And The Public Regarding Symptoms And All Treatment Options
--

Sign to add your voice to establish proper legislation and funding of this global epidemic.

https://www.change.org/p/barack-obama-legalize-lyme-disease

Antares in NYC

I think the idea of "legalizing Lyme" is fair and powerful. You get sick with this disease, and --at least in the USA-- it feels as if you have done something illegal; there are no resources, treatment or even proper information available. Even most doctors will reject you. In that sense, both ME/CFS and Lyme (and the crossover between the two) feel like diseases that have been abandoned, and patients are left to their own devices. Unfair and cruel for advanced societies in the 21st century.

Last edited:

duncan

A number of IDSA Lyme Guidelines supporters were/are crying foul over what they are calling the risks of legislating medical changes into being.

I say, screw them.

I signed this petition when it first came out, and I would gladly do it again if I could. A few individuals control the fate of millions, and in effect have elected themselves the arbiters of acceptable Science, at least withing the US Lyme world. If ethics will not moderate their activities and govern their decisions, then I am all for legislating change, even in the medical world. In this case, especially in the medical world.