The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Please sign the MEA's petition asking NICE to review the guidelines for ME (CLOSING MONDAY JULY 24)

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Countrygirl, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    https://sapc.ac.uk/conference/2017/...treatments-mecfs-symptoms-analysis-of-patient

2. Countrygirl

UK
    TiredSam likes this.
  3. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

This presentation to a conference at the University of Warwick refers to the largest ever survey of patient evidence relating to acceptability, efficacy and safety of CBT, GET and Pacing

Executive summary here:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/2015/05/23959/

The MEA has also been working with Keith on the preparation of academic papers covering the results of this report

We will be including these findings in our submission to NICE

CS

4. charles shepherd

8376 signatures right now - looks as though we should reach 9,000 by the end of today!

CS

5. Countrygirl

UK
    :balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons: 8 500!! :balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons:

Solstice, MeSci, Sean and 2 others like this.
  6. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

W. Sussex UK
    In the surveillance review proposal it says:
    "If the PACE trial evidence was downgraded or set aside in a new systematic review, other evidence from RCTs and systematic reviews shows benefit of CBT and GET in line with current recommendations".

3 things:
    1) Would these have got off the ground let alone been published/passed peer review if it had not been for PACE?
    2) What was the average/mean figure(%) of those who supposedly 'benefited' from CBT/GET from these other RCTs?
    3) Did any of these other RCTs use any actual performance/biomedical measurements or were they all reliant on subjective questionnaires (eg CFQ designed for PACE).

7. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Some did. But they all used Oxford criteria, and the data suggested that few patients, if any, suffered from any physical disability. Eg, CPET scores were already normal or low-normal at the start.

Invisible Woman, slysaint and MeSci like this.
  8. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Not to mention that PACE was justified by saying the existing evidence base was inadequate.

Invisible Woman, Valentijn and MeSci like this.
  9. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    8753 now.

10. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    The IOM report and all those who contributed to it can quite safely be dismissed then.

Invisible Woman and Countrygirl like this.
  11. TiredSam

Germany
    I don't see why not, they're quite happy to rely on papers written by bacteria.

12. charles shepherd

I have now informed Board members on the CMRC that the MEA has created a petition calling on NICE to basically overrule the recommendation of their expert group that has been reviewing all the evidence (which appears to be reviewing abstracts rather than actual papers) and to move forward with a proper and comprehensive review of the NICE guideline on ME/CFS

I have also informed the CMRC that the MEA petition has gathered more than 8800 signatures in less than four days - so I do not think this demonstation of patient dissatisfaction can be ignored by NICE

The CMRC has NOT been involved with the NICE guideline review, nor the guideline development process, and is NOT a stakeholder in the consultation process. Neither is the MRC.

However, there are members of the CMRC Board who have input into various stakeholder groups - so I feel it is important for them to be aware of the position being taken by the MEA

Interesting to note some of the names on the NICE stakeholder list:

British Medical Journal
    Cochrane centre for depresion, anxiety and neurosis
    Eli Lilly (drug company)
    Ministry of Defence
    Royal College of Psychiatrists

Full list of ME/CFS stakeholders in the ME/CFS guideline here:
    https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg53/documents/stakeholder-list-2

Dr Charles Shepherd
    Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

13. Countrygirl

UK
    Well, @TiredSam ! ......they are .......foreign..............:wide-eyed:.......................as in................not English :vomit:..............you can't expect NICE to take notice of...............foreign.............research..............let alone ......foreign......opinion. :aghhh:

14. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member

Ahem, so I'm not surprised. They are like a dog with a bone.

arewenearlythereyet and TiredSam like this.
  15. Countrygirl

UK
    Ministry of Defence????

Why?

Are they worried that the so-called harmless bacteria they sprayed us with during in the 60s and 70s wasn't perhaps as harmless as they thought?

16. TiredSam

Germany
    That explains why they've buried M.E. Now if only they'd forget where they've put it and scamper off to do something else. Can't someone throw them a stick or something?

17. SamanthaJ

SamanthaJ Senior Member

I'm curious whether the BMJ is a stakeholder for other conditions. It seems a bit weird to me.

18. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

Uk
    Gulf war syndrome etc?.....or maybe we are genetically engineered soldiers that didn't work out?

19. Countrygirl

UK
    8 904..................8 919!!.................

20. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

Ah well I feel really confident now, they have got good and honest scientists, they will get to the bottom of this. :cool:

See more popular forum discussions.