Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Please sign the MEA's petition asking NICE to review the guidelines for ME (CLOSING MONDAY JULY 24)

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Countrygirl, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    This petition is to run for a week, so please sign NOW.

https://www.change.org/p/petition-t...fit-for-purpose-and-needs-a-complete-revision

This is the wording from the petition:

Here is the quick comment I added with my name:

The NICE guidelines are not merely not 'fit for purpose' but their application causes harm......often severe harm........to patients. There is no scientific evidence that CBT improves ME on follow up while GET damages patients. Three studies of a total of 5 000 patients revealed that over 75% suffered harm, often severe harm, from GET. Mildly affected patients became bedbound as a result of management strategies recommended by NICE. If a pharmaceutical drug was associated with so much harm, it would be immediately withdrawn. NICE urgently needs to acknowledge the emerging international scientific evidence that clearly contradicts the use of GET that they continue to promote and until they do they are responsible for harming patients with this devastating illness. Recent studies have provided further proof of the characteristic feature of intolerance of exercise, which is the main feature of this disease: calibrated exercise on a bicycle ergometer on two consecutive days indicates clear difference in muscle metabolism between ME patients and healthy sedentary controls . In ME patients the 'anaerobic threshold' lowers on the second day whereas it increases in controls. Hence enforced and increasing levels of exercise as recommended by NICE can only damage the ME patient and does cause many to become bedbound. Similarly electrical stimulation of the patient's muscle in vitro reveals severe impairments of metabolism which are not seen in healthy controls. It is entirely unethical of NICE to continue to ignore the international science when their ongoing failure to change the guidelines is causing so much physical harm and distress to a large number of patients.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

Uk
    Signed and left comment about my experience of GET

3. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    Done - signatures being added quickly at the moment - 200 and counting.

4. AndyPR

AndyPR I'm a DAD, I Donate, Advocate and Demonstrate

Hampshire, UK
  5. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Signed! This one is so very important. Commented along with signing, but not sure if visible. My wife will do so later today.

Still can't see my comment, so in case it does not appear, this is what I said:-

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  6. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Can non-UK people sign?

Luther Blissett likes this.
  7. AndyPR

AndyPR I'm a DAD, I Donate, Advocate and Demonstrate

Hampshire, UK
    Yes, Change.org allows for international signing. Whether the MEA intended for non-UK people to sign is something I don't know though.

8. Countrygirl

UK
    I have left a message for the MEA to ask if people from outside the UK can sign.

Perhaps you could try and see what happens?

9. Countrygirl

UK
    339 signed now.

We need thousands to sign.

Please share and ask friends and family!

10. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    Well, the NICE guidelines affect those of us overseas too, especially in Commonwealth countries. A revised NICE guideline might give Cochrane pause for thought, and that would definitely help.

So I reckon, sure, sign. Change.org asks for your country, presumably these will show.

11. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

12. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

Signed, though not English.

13. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

Uk
    Up to 537 now :)

Time to call on the extended family

14. charles shepherd

15. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Since it's national, I'd think they only want UK signatures.

Luther Blissett and MEMum like this.
  16. Countrygirl

UK
    We do need the names of the 'nominated expert reviewers' as well as those of the 'review team'. Do they include the usual culprits by any chance? Who exactly 'nominated' them?

17. Countrygirl

UK
    Please @charles shepherd would you clarify if people from other countries can sign as I think they are doing so at the moment?

Thanks.

18. Countrygirl

UK
    632 now.

Can we make it a thousand by this afternoon?

Time to start sending emails round the country. :):hug:

19. charles shepherd

I think it would be perfectly reasonable to allow anyone who has ME/CFS (or cares for someone with ME/CFS), and has taken an interest in the NICE guideline on ME/CFS, to sign this MEA petition.

NICE guidelines are referred to all over the world - so they can influence how countries outside the UK proceed with guidance and recommendations on the management of ME/CFS.

CS

20. Sean

Sean Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.