• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please Share What to Avoid At Dentist

I have the following mutations/issues. Can you please share with me what I need to avoid, be careful of when having dental work done? I'm going to have the amalgams removed (biological dentist), and there will be at least one crown put on.

Thanks for your help!! I'm worried about becoming more unwell, so I figured I'd ask...I remember there are certain things that are to be avoided with specific mutations, but I can't recall what they are and what mutations to look at for issues at the dentist.

Love,

Wendi

Undisclosed

I agree with Sushi -- I had to get a filling replaced and the anesthetic caused my heart rate to increase and I felt like I was going to panic. I talked to my dentist and she agreed the the epinephrine based anesthetic was wrong for me.

SDSue

Southeast
Most of us need to avoid any anesthetics that contain epinephrine. I ask for carbocaine.

Best wishes with this!
Sushi
I didn’t know that. Over ten years ago, (when my ME was mild but I didn’t know it yet) I had a reaction to some sort of power injection of lidocaine with epinephrine - tachy, tremors, sweating, etc. (I’ve had the same response to epi for anaphylaxis, but it’s been in hospital settings)

Never again at the dentist.

Great to know!!! Thanks so much! If anyone else knows of other things I should be careful of, please share. We can all learn. :)

Thanks!

Love,

Wendi

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I had a reaction to some sort of power injection of lidocaine with epinephrine - tachy, tremors, sweating, etc.
Even my dermatologist respects my request for lidocaine without epinephrine. He asked why and I said it affects my autonomic nervous system. He said, well, we don't want that!

Effi

Hi @GypsyA
I had a local anaesthetic at the dentist for a simple procedure a couple of months ago and I felt a lot worse for about two weeks after that.

I read about epinephrine being the culprit but as I didn't ask my dentist what exactly was in the anaesthetic I am not sure what caused it.

Good luck!

I'm definitely staying away from the epinephrine after everything shared, so far. My heart is already having issues...actually skipping/stopping for one beat (electrical issues?). So, I don't need anymore potential challenges. Thanks!

JaimeS

@GypsyA , thanks so much for starting this discussion! My mom just came back from the dentist dizzy and shaky with heart palps. She has some kind of chronic fatiguing... thing as well (it's not as characteristically ME as my ME?). Anyway, I wouldn't have known about the epi without this thread. <3

-J

jason30

What about the fillings, I have heard that composite is recommended. Any advice / experiences on fillings?