1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Please see ERV Blog 23rd March March 2010 and respond.

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by JAS, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

Yup, I wouldn't pay any attention but if people really want to respond, send a snail mail to her research adviser or department chair! And quote from her blog! Andrea should send her a personal letter ---- that might shock her out of her apathy that words hurt real people. Caveat is do we really know this person is the true blogger or someone else using her as a cover?

2. Robin

Robin Guest

Woah! She's...unfortunate looking.

From Facebook:
    Did erv do this?

3. fred

fred The game is afoot

No, I think this refers to someone else who has a bee in their bonnet about the WPI not looking for XMRV in the organs and tissues of dead people. Apparently, only looking for XMRV in fresh blood is playing into the hands of big pharma. This is probably making more sense of the argument than it actually deserves.

4. JAS

JAS

UK
    I think you were right....ERV is off on a rant! She is very quick to judge others when the person she really needs to look at judging is herself.

5. fred

fred The game is afoot

I have received several emails from the President's Action Line at the University of Oklahama in response to my complaint about ERV's blogsite.

For those who also wish to write, the email address is actionline@ou.edu

You many also wish to send a message to (Ms) Chris Purcell, the University Secretary and VC for Governance at regentspurcell@ou.ed

I believe that ERV has surpassed her own previous heights of ignorance and rudeness recently and has refered to those who challenge her as 'mentally handicapped'. I cannot vouch for this personally as I have chosen not to read her drivel.

6. supERVisor

Any clues who ERV's PhD supervisor is? Whoever it is, they ought to know about her blog.

7. JAS

JAS

UK
    Hi Fred, thank you for your info.....she was asking if we were 'mentally handicapped!'...nice! I have written an email to the actionline@ou.edu. address, I did cc it to Chris Purcell at the regentspurcell email and it shot it back...did this address work for you? Please would it be possible to check it?

8. fred

fred The game is afoot

Apologies for the delayed reply. It has taken 13 light years to log back in to this forum. It does not seem to co-exist with an open Facebook site.

The address should have a 'u' on the end regentspurcell@ou.edu.

My brain cell also apologises unreservedly.

9. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

judy m is a mother substitute and ERV is transferring her rage against her real mother(possibly another competent professional) on to her

10. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    This goes without saying. :thumbsup:

11. fred

fred The game is afoot

And Andrea is the substitute sister of whom she is jealous - because Mom gives the sick sister all her attention?

Perhaps ERV should be refered for CBT.

12. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    a post from erv:

[emphasis added]

Psych - O!

13. fred

fred The game is afoot

And then perhaps some graded exercise. Involving a steam roller.

14. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    If I were to make a recommendation, I would suggest any complaints not address the controversy as to cause of CFS. Although we see lots of evidence of non-psychological cause, just remember the scientific community, including this lady's bosses or professors, may either be unsure or actually believe it is psychological.

In other words, from the world's perspective, it is still up to debate. So anyone promoting their view is perfectly fine.

But, it should be done in a professional manner, without personal attacks and without obscenities. If she wants to be taken seriously as a scientist, then the rhetoric needs to focus on reasoning and logic, or she will lose credibility.

Oh, and by the same token, while we are not professionals and speaking with some expertise or authority, same advice needs to be applied to our own discussions, if we want others to listen to us with an open mind.

But someone who is promoting themselves or others promote as an expert or a professional with expertise, hurts their own credibility when the rhetoric reflects more of the Rush Limbaugh style. And if there is an issue there for this lady, then that is what should be addressed in complaints to her superiors or her professors.

JMHO

Tina

15. fred

fred The game is afoot

Apologies - but my fogginess precludes a clear understanding of your point. Are you saying that people should not be challenging the science of the blog but just the style? If this is so, I personally would concur - although, surely, the content of any communication with the University must be decided by the person who writes it.

16. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

there aint no science in it either a herv does not even begin to explain the multiplicity of symptoms

17. Robin

Robin Guest

ERV is inconsequential; the research will be decided by the forthcoming studies, not her. She's not involved in any of them, she's a graduate student, and a blogger. She's about as important as a flea.

Her little blog has barely any comments on the non-CFS posts. Page views and comments are like crack for bloggers. Let's stop visiting and cut off her crack!

So I guess I shouldn't swipe ERV's picture and draw crazy eyes on it?

18. fred

fred The game is afoot

No need. They are already crazy.

19. JAS

JAS

UK
    I am not remotely worried or offended if she questions the science, it is the tantrums and utter drivel that goes with it which is personal and vindictive. She does have to learn that old important lesson... 'what goes round comes round'. Thanks Fred for the 'u' :)X

20. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

Hi Tina,

...and absolutely ZERO valid scientific evidence of a psychological cause..

Totally unscientifically, if they do. And, to my understanding, even ERV is not saying the cause is psychological, is she? (Not sure; I've only read a couple of her posts.) I thought her only problem was with the Mikovits et al and the XMRV hypothesis.

It is our job to change the world's perspective, if it is screwed up, and counter the promotion of views that negatively impact our lives (not theirs, of course..). However, I agree with Robin that ERV is not worthy of our attention, at least not via giving her Google or blog hits. There was at least one thread here that provided ample explanation of the kind of organization Science Blogs is, and how they likely provide incentives for bloggers based on the controversy - and therefore hits - they generate.

See more popular forum discussions.