1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Please see ERV Blog 23rd March March 2010 and respond.

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by JAS, Mar 31, 2010.

1. JAS

JAS

UK
    The WPI and inidividuals are being discussed on the following blog...it is ERV who I am sure many of you have heard of before. Normally I would say ignore these, these people crave attention, and giving it fuels their fire. But in this case Dr Mikovits and Andrea in particular are being discussed and particularly slated and I do think in this instance we all ought to give our side of the opinion on there. I am sure Andrea and the WPI greatly appreciate our support on these forums but perhaps we need to go further afield with our support on this one. For all those who have not had a look at this blog please go and have a look and add your comments ....though I warn you to have your blood pressure tablets handy as they may be needed! Thank you x

http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2010/03/xmrv_and_chronic_fatigue_syndr_11.php
  2. Adam

Adam *****

Sheffield UK
    I understand your anger JAS. But personally I have chosen to ignore ERV. It's a tough one, especially when it involves personal attacks on sick people and their families, however I have turned my back on the haters. They do need their fuel for their fire. They also need oxygen.

The firemans triangle - Remove the oxygen and you have a vacuum and the fire goes out. I am not providing any more oxygen.

Neither am I prepared to improve her Google rating.
  3. Knackered

Knackered Guest

I agree, how about we just ignore her?
  4. JAS

JAS

UK
    Hi Adam and Kackered, I completely agree in that these people want attention and by giving them attention they become more 'important' and I have steered clear so far. I just think that this got a bit personal though and they are rough on the Whittemore family and Dr Mikovits in particular. It is not very attractive to read. Dr Mikovits and the WPI are running the UK study and supporting us here in the UK...I will just wanted to give something back. I have posted a comment. Thanks for looking at it though. jx
  5. Knackered

Knackered Guest

Do you think the people at the WPI care about this insignificant person on the internet?
    Just ignore her and stop reading her blog, the more people post her links on here the higher her page gets ranked.

She's not being serious, she's trying to get attention and it's working.
  6. Robin

Robin Guest

These are people who are happy to snark about sickness and suffering. I wouldn't engage with that type of person in my real life, nor will I in a blog comments section.
  7. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

i have posted a reply who is this erv
  8. Robin

Robin Guest

She's some graduate student and also a #$&@.
  9. Nina

Nina Senior Member

In fact they do, Andrea was very upset when she read this.

But I totally agree the best way to deal with her is to ignore her. I think the more we comment, the more she will go to extremes to trash our community. I mean, who is this girl? We really shouldn't care. In the bigger picture, she plays no part whatsoever.

We can show our support for WPI in a million ways, this is not the best one imho.
  10. Knackered

Knackered Guest

11. flex

flex *****

London area
    The only way to address this person is to find out who she is, by pass her blog, and go straight to her university and report her utter disrespect of the scientific community, her attitudes towards the sick and her appalling use of language.
  12. fred

fred The game is afoot

Does 'Abbie Smith' give any indication of her university - if, indeed, she is actually at one?
  13. Knackered

Knackered Guest

14. creekfeet

creekfeet Sockfeet

Eastern High Sierra
    I saw Andrea W's distress over this person, but haven't gone to check "Abbie" out myself. I feel like giving her blog more hits is not what I want to do. Ignore her as beneath notice seems a better plan. Otherwise, every nutcase is going to think they can engage us in unworthy discussions.
  15. fred

fred The game is afoot

Oklahoma City Community College ? Is that a particularly pre-eminent science faculty? It's not one I'm familiar with.

And her Facebook page says she's a fan of PLoS. Says it all, really.
  16. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    As for attacks on Whittemores and WPI is best handled by them. Honestly, it is their issue, not ours. They are big girls and boys, they can handle it. Now, contacting this young lady's bosses to complain of unprofessional conduct might be a good thing.

Tina
  17. http://blue.butler.edu/~mzimmerm/Resources/sci_expert_data_base.htm

Name: Abigail Smith
    Title: Graduate Student
    Address: Department of Immunology and Microbiology
    University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
    Oklahoma City, OK 73104
    Areas of Expertise: viral evolution, endogenous retroviruses, genetics
    Email: ssmith30@ouhsc.edu

The Office of Community Partnerships and Health Policy is a part of the OUHSC Provost Office. The mission of Community Partnerships and Health Policy is to better connect OUHSC to the community.

Perhaps OUHSC regards Smith's blog as part of their outreach work.
  18. JAS

JAS

UK
    Thanks Monkeybusiness...great info. jx
  19. fred

fred The game is afoot

20. JAS

JAS

UK
    I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for all your help with this. Great research everyone! Thank you jx

See more popular forum discussions.