• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please Help me with MTHFR and 23andMe results

I'm desperate for some guidance with understanding my results from the 23andMe genetic test. Some of my SNP results are:

rs1801133, versions are A or G, I am: AG
-if I understand this correctly, I am heterozygous for this mutation

rs1801131, versions are G or T, I am: TT
-if I understand correctly, I am negative for caring a mutation with this gene

rs2274976, versions are C or T, I am: CC
-I don't know what this means

And I don't know what else to really look for. I did the promethease.com report, but am struggling to understand that too.

I'm overwhelmed and really suffering. Please help if you can.

Valentijn

@KokoP - Based on those results, your MTHFR is functioning at about 65% of the optimal level. But average functioning in the general population is at about 70%, so that puts your MTHFR in the "extremely normal" range.

It's unlikely to be causing significant problems. A low/normal dose of methylfolate might be helpful, especially if getting pregnant. Though eating a good amount of veggies will also fully compensate for the reduction.

Eeyore

I would agree with @Valentijn - however, I'd add that rather than just going off genetics, get your homocysteine tested, and treat that down to normal range - with folate/b12/b6/tmg if necessary. If your homocysteine is normal I wouldn't worry about it.

caledonia

I'm desperate for some guidance with understanding my results from the 23andMe genetic test. Some of my SNP results are:

rs1801133, versions are A or G, I am: AG
-if I understand this correctly, I am heterozygous for this mutation

rs1801131, versions are G or T, I am: TT
-if I understand correctly, I am negative for caring a mutation with this gene

rs2274976, versions are C or T, I am: CC
-I don't know what this means

And I don't know what else to really look for. I did the promethease.com report, but am struggling to understand that too.

I'm overwhelmed and really suffering. Please help if you can.

MTHFR C677T +/-
MTHFR A1298C -/-
MTHFR G1793A (R594Q) -/-

There are several ways to name the genes. It's easier to go with the letter/number combinations than the RS numbers in my opinion.

You have the same results as me. MTHFR C677T is the most significant, resulting in a 40% or so reduction in the ability to convert folate into methylfolate. So you may need some methylfolate supplementation.

But that's just one small piece of the puzzle. Do lots of research before implementing any supplements or treatments.

See the link in my signature for a lot more info on interpreting SNPs. (Hint: you're doing it the hard way.)