• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please Help Me Understand Aerobic Energy Production

rwac

Actually, gut biome is extremely important. It turns out those little critters produce short chain fatty acids that nourish the lining of the gut, and help to stimulate cell death of cells that go bad (and could become cancerous). I think one of the best criticisms of low carb diets is that they kill off the bacteria in the gut.
It's impossible to remove the gut bacteria in any case, not with antibiotics or anything short of living your whole life in a sterile bubble. Here's some food for thought:
Mice bred in sterile environments without these "gut flora" were seen to be more adventurous and less anxious than mice with normal gut flora.

Another big benefit is stool volume and stool motility. Try this simple experiment: take two tablespoons of RAW potato STARCH (do NOT take potato flour!!!) mixed in 12 ounces of water, before going to bed. This stuff is like rocket fuel to colonic bacteria. Most people see almost immediate increases in stool volume. 60% of the starch escapes digestion in the small intestine and gets to the colon where the little beasties have a Christmas feast. :)
Potato starch is probably the best kind of starch.

My initial research suggests that there are two broad classes of bacteria: one produces lactic acid and the other produces acetic acid. Wow, isn't that interesting since Vinegar is acetic acid. I wonder if that somehow correlates to my result of "clearing acid more quickly" when I ingest Vinegar? Probably not...thinking out loud. :)

Does anyone know the names of bacteria that produce acetic acid, and what percentage of these usually appear in the gut? My idea here is let's take probiotics that encourage growth of the acetic acid producers, in the hope that they can outcompete the bad ones that overproduce D-Lactic acid.

This assumes that you are testing for D-Lactic acid and have discovered that you have too much of it.

I just realized that the vinegar I have been using is Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar *With the Mother*. That means it has living bacteria in it. Perhaps part of the benefit I am getting is that this vinegar could be acting as some kind of probiotic in the gut, promoting acetic acid producers over lactic acid producers.

Some strains no doubt produce acetate, and you might be promoting those selectively by drinking vinegar.
I don't know the specific strains that produce acetic acid, but some do exist in the human gut.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC182497/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3678950

wastwater

Would books on cellular respiration be a good place to start.I was thinking of getting the dummies book on this.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Does anyone know the names of bacteria that produce acetic acid, and what percentage of these usually appear in the gut? My idea here is let's take probiotics that encourage growth of the acetic acid producers, in the hope that they can outcompete the bad ones that overproduce D-Lactic acid.
Clostridium butyricum UBCB-70 (MTCC 5399)

Clostridium butyricum is a gram positive, anaerobic, spore forming bacterium. It is found predominantly in the region from the upper small intestine to the colon. On proliferation, it yields short chain fatty acids (SCFA) such as butyric acid and acetic acid with a resultant decrease in intestinal pH.