• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please help me get diagnosed!

Hello,
Recently diagnosed with ME/CFS - I have posted my genetic genie results. What can I do to start support my MFTHR in terms of medications and supplements. Complete noob here!

Attachments

• 123123123123.jpg
    123123123123.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 25
Recently diagnosed with ME/CFS - I have posted my genetic genie results. What can I do to start support my MFTHR in terms of medications and supplements.
Methylation SNPs aren't a basis for diagnosing anything. And even if it were, we aren't doctors and you aren't our patient, so we couldn't diagnose you anyhow :p

MTHFR C677T +/- means that you convert folic acid into active folate at about 65% of the optimum rate. But because MTHFR mutations are extremely common, that means yours is pretty average. At most it indicates that eating a decent amount of veggies or supplementing a normal dose of methylfolate (such as is found in a typical multivitamin) might help in keeping homocysteine levels in normal range.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
@AspireApex

In a nutshell -- your genetic mutations to not look severe. Perhaps your ME/CFs may be caused by something else (infections, mitochondrial damage, subclinical thyroid problem, adrenal issues, toxins, parasites, etc).

MAO A R297R - is best supported with adequate B2 intake and a fully functioning thyroid.
VDR taq - make sure your Vitamin D levels are adequate - test to make sure your Vitamin D levels are in range, supplement if low

With the MTHFS mutation, it seems as though I should avoid all sources of folate that are not methylfolate. Does this sound correct? My symptoms all started after I started eating more spinach/broccoli and olive oil on a regular basis. Assuming I refrain from eating these, will my methylation status slowly revert back to normal assuming I stay away from all folinic acid? What are your experiences?

Attachments

• 123123123.png
    123123123.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 7