• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PLEASE HELP FOLLICULITIS, A GUT PROBLEM ?

HI EVERYONE I JUST NEED SOME INFORMATION ON THIS SUBJECT, I WAS ON ANTI-BIOTICS A FEW YEARS AGO FOR MILD ACNE I WAS ON IT FOR 3 MONTHS I THINK, I AM NOT SURE IF THAT HAS CAUSED MY FOLLICULITIS BUT I HAD GOT THE SPOTS AT THE BACK OF MY HEAD SINCE THEN THEY ONLY APPEAR AT THE BACK OF MY HEAD AND NECK LINE, IS THIS CONDITION CAUSED BY POOR GUT FLORA OR CANDIDA DUE TO THE ANTI- BIOTICS THANKS.

Crux

Hi Ali;

I agree that treatments with antibiotics can disturb gut flora and cause candida problems later. Although I've taken a variety of probiotics and naturally fermented foods for decades, my knowledge of them is nowhere near as sophisticated as many people here, so hopefully someone will come along withmore specific suggestions.

I'll just bring up that zinc deficiency is associated with acne and possibly folliculitis. Here is a link that may offer some info on it, but besides the graphic photos and rather invasive treatments, it did bring up that some of the patients had high serum copper. The article briefly mentioned zinc as a treatment.

With zinc deficiency, there can be a relative excess of copper. Once zinc is supplemented for a time, the imbalance can be corrected. We need copper too.

Zinc along with probiotics, good diet,and more, may help heal the gut. I'm over-simplifying this because it is a huge subject beyond my knowledge.

http://www.carfintl.org/assets/docs/articles/FD_Otberg-Kang-Shapiro_DermatolTher Aug2008.pdf