Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Please educate me on B12

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Peyt, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Hi All,
    I ordered some HydroxyB12 after learning that according to my SNP's (COMT ++ , VDR +/-) I can benefit from Hydroxy or Adenosyl B12. I am +/- on both MTHFR and MTRR.
    This is the brand I purchased:
    http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Orthomolecular-Research-Hydroxy-Tablets/dp/B00457FZYA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409821283&sr=8-1&keywords=hydroxy b12

Which has the following written on the label:
    Hydroxyocobalamin 1000 mcg / 16667%

The first time that I took it, within minutes I was yawning. This is a nice thing for an over-methylator because us
    over-methylators have excess dopamine and norepenephrine and have tough time sleeping... But off course I don't want to be sleepy during the day so I started taking it at night along with my magnesium powder(which also induces sleep for me).... Anyways, within 2-3 days I started getting alot of pain in my ear. It felt like a ear infection but no fever... and could not tell if it's from this supplement or Mollyebdenum which I had started around the same time.... So I stopped both and waited a week..... then I took only the Hydroxy B12 2 days ago.... I slept well that night, but the next day I noticed my muscles felt tired and heavy... figured may be the dose (1000mcg) is too much so I skipped the B12 that night. But the day after(which was yesterday) I started building up this pressure in my head, under my left eye and it turned into a full blown headache with feeling of nausea in the afternoon which forced me to leave work early.... took some Tylonal and Nicianmede which always helps me in these situations, and slept....And it took about 6 hours before the pain finally cleared up.

So I now would like some education on B12 please. I know that I am low on B12(even my blood tests showed it)... But I am not sure how to handle this... Should I try the Adenosyl type and see how that works? Should I take a much smaller dose of the HydroxyB12? Should I be taking the B12 with Methyfolate or another supplement? Please help if you can...My 23andme Profile is attached. . thanks so much,
    Peyt

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Oh Btw, here are the supplements I am taking for a few months without any side effects:

EPO 500mg (2 to 3 times x day) for Pyrolle disorder
    Sunflower Lecithin 1200mg(2 to 3 x day) .........for BHMT ---this one I recently started back
    Vit D / K2 (5000 IU/ 200mcg) (once a day)------Low Vt D
    Biotin (500mg ) once a day
    P5P (150mg) once a day -----------Pyrolle Disorder
    Niacinamide ---- (500mg x 2 per day) ------ Overmethylation or COMT++
    Manganese (10mg x1 per day) ---
    Yucca ------(2 caps x3 times per day) for CBS++
    Zinc Picolinate (50mg x1 ) --- For low zinc
    Betain HCL ----(650 x 3 per day) with meals for better digestion
    Protease Enzyme Supplement (2caps per each meal) --- For better digestion
    L- Ornithine- 500mg (2-3 times a day) --- Helps with headaches and blood circulation

I did try a product by NOW called Folic Acid which also had a small amount of B12 as Cyanocobalamin, which I was able to tolerate for 2 weeks with great success. I felt my depression was lifted and I was feeling great... after that I started getting headaches (similar to the one I described above) so I stopped it. Never tried Methylfolate

3. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Hi Peyt. I can't answer your specific questions. The best I can do is refer you to the guide in my signature. here you'll find what Fred has to say about the different B's. One thing that's changed, which I haven't revised, is his current suggestion to take AdB12 on a day without MB12, so that each is absorbed better. He's talking about doses of 50mg AdB12, which would be more than a starting dose.

4. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Thanks so much Ahmo,
    Well I am looking at pages 25-26 of Fredd's guide which talks about Hydroxy B12, and correct me if I am wrong, but it does not sound like he likes Hydroxy B12 very much! :) ... makes me think maybe I should try the ADB12 instead.... The reason I picked Hydroxy b12 is because it was one of the 2 choices for someone with COMT ++ and VDR +/- according to Yasko's chart on choosing B12, but I also have the choice to use ADB12, so I guess I can try that one.

5. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Hi Peyt. As far as Fred is concerned, HyB12 is a useless work-around. It seems to work for some...whether it's the best choice, or is merely just barely getting the job done, I can't say, I don't have a science mind.AdB12 is another thing entirely. And I didn't appreciate this until quite recently. It acts in making ATP, which is a separate function from the methylation cycle. I've looked in my notes for further info re ADB12, but found nothing else. It came up in a thread, I asked for clarification re was ATP separate from Methylation Cycle, and got an emphatic YES!

Adlyfrost likes this.
  6. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Okay so Fredd doesn't like it but Dr. Cheney does!... hmm.... I actually prefer a chart like Yasko has which correlates the types of B12's to the SNPs... Anyways, today I decided to bite the bullet and make an appointment with a Dr. I picked a M.D. from mthfr.net . Her name is Dr. Sheila George. She is in California every other month and just happened to be here next week. So I will see her next week. I just hope this is her area of specialty. If anyone has heard of her and has a review please post it here. Thanks

ahmo likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.