May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Please can TeamPR help child threatened with 'intensive inpatient treatment' for failing to recover

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Countrygirl, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    I have wondered if this is a possible solution, but it would depend on the Mum and child's agreement and if the psychologist would permit it. I may be wrong, but I suspect that the psychologist wants to see the child on her own. Mum would have to confirm that though.

I think the child and Mum have very good grounds for refusing to attend as the psychologist, probably parrotting what the paediatrician had told her, informed the child that her illness was not a physical one. This belief places the child at considerable risk and I think is grounds for refusing to attened the appointment. I have a hunch though that Mum will be too fearful fo the consequences to stand up for herself.

2. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    I don't think the child has been tested and I suspect Mum knows nothing about it. It is an excellent point though. I will pass on the suggestion @PatJ J

PatJ likes this.
  3. char47

char47 Senior Member

I don't think you'd get very far with this, as temperature (unless very high) can fluctuate a great deal & can sometimes fluctuate as a result of stress/trauma/PTSD etc i believe, so they will just twist it to apparently prove their hypothesis.
    I would also warn against doing anything that makes the mother appear as if she is paying (in their world) undue attention to the childs health/symptoms many times throughout the day - they'll just use that as 'proof' that the mother is hypervigilant & causing the problem. ( 'she's so obsessed that she's been taking the childs temperature 5 times a day & recording it - no wonder the child thinks he/she's ill') ...... so I think it could backfire.

The only time a temperature reading would be helpful is if the kid had a fever, but only then if it was a health prof who recorded it & then they would just say he had a cold/virus whatever & wait for a fortnight & take it again - when likely be normal.

Countrygirl likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.