Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Plasma cells research

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Marky90, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

Hi guys

Recently i became part of a norwegian grant organization, which assess research proposals, and if considered good; help fund the study.

At the moment we are starting up a study on intravenous gammaglobulins for ME/CFS.

Another topic I feel is important to explore, is the lifeline of plasma cells.
    I have tried to find research on this, but with no luck so far.
    As they possibly play an important role in the pathogenesis (rituximab responses might indicate so), would it not be of interest to explore further what mechanisms it is that keeps these cells alive, where they usually are, and if anything is different with the former when possible autoimmune processes are going on.

@Jonathan Edwards What do immunology know of this? do you find this a topic worth exploring? My layman gut feeling is that this is quite hard to research properly?

Wanted to check here before i propose this kind of research to the organization.

LC2015, helen1, rosie26 and 9 others like this.
  2. Billt

Billt Senior Member

New Orleans
    Would be very interested in how this study goes ..

Marky90 likes this.
  3. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Is your organization looking for research proposals to fund, or is your group picking a topic, and then you will look for an interested researcher? If the latter, there is so much to study, good luck trying to figure out the highest priority.

Billt likes this.
  4. Marky90

Currently- both:)

Billt and jimells like this.
  5. Marky90

We also have a board of doctors who evaluate research proposals, some of them involved in the rtx-trials.

Billt and RL_sparky like this.
  6. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

Markey90,
    It's great to hear you are involved in this and that it exists.
    May I ask if there is funding already in place for any of this or would each study require a full round of funding. And if so, would you be confident the funding can be got ?
    Thanks.

Billt and Marky90 like this.
  7. Marky90

Hey BurnA,

We got some funds to get the proposal stage going, with regards to IVIG. However it will require a full round of funding, yes, but we are certain to get it. This is the same group that made the funding of rtx phase 3 possible, and also a ongoing gene-project at Haukeland university hospital.

We try to become bigger so that we always have the money to start a promising project instantly.

Billt, ScottTriGuy, jimells and 3 others like this.
  8. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

:thumbsup:

Marky90 likes this.
  9. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    @Marky90 the research program in Norway makes NIH look like a bunch of amateurs. Maybe your group could invite Dr Collins to Norway so he could learn how it is done, although trying to teach NIH anything about our illness is probably a fool's errand.

Billt, sarah darwins and Marky90 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.