• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Plasma cells research

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
Hi guys

Recently i became part of a norwegian grant organization, which assess research proposals, and if considered good; help fund the study.

At the moment we are starting up a study on intravenous gammaglobulins for ME/CFS.

Another topic I feel is important to explore, is the lifeline of plasma cells.
I have tried to find research on this, but with no luck so far.
As they possibly play an important role in the pathogenesis (rituximab responses might indicate so), would it not be of interest to explore further what mechanisms it is that keeps these cells alive, where they usually are, and if anything is different with the former when possible autoimmune processes are going on.

@Jonathan Edwards What do immunology know of this? do you find this a topic worth exploring? My layman gut feeling is that this is quite hard to research properly?

Wanted to check here before i propose this kind of research to the organization.

jimells

Is your organization looking for research proposals to fund, or is your group picking a topic, and then you will look for an interested researcher? If the latter, there is so much to study, good luck trying to figure out the highest priority.

Marky90

Is your organization looking for research proposals to fund, or is your group picking a topic, and then you will look for an interested researcher? If the latter, there is so much to study, good luck trying to figure out the highest priority.

Currently- both:)

Marky90

We also have a board of doctors who evaluate research proposals, some of them involved in the rtx-trials.

Currently- both:)
Markey90,
It's great to hear you are involved in this and that it exists.
May I ask if there is funding already in place for any of this or would each study require a full round of funding. And if so, would you be confident the funding can be got ?
Thanks.

Marky90

Markey90,
It's great to hear you are involved in this and that it exists.
May I ask if there is funding already in place for any of this or would each study require a full round of funding. And if so, would you be confident the funding can be got ?
Thanks.

Hey BurnA,

We got some funds to get the proposal stage going, with regards to IVIG. However it will require a full round of funding, yes, but we are certain to get it. This is the same group that made the funding of rtx phase 3 possible, and also a ongoing gene-project at Haukeland university hospital.

We try to become bigger so that we always have the money to start a promising project instantly.

Hey BurnA,

We got some funds to get the proposal stage going, with regards to IVIG. However it will require a full round of funding, yes, but we are certain to get it. This is the same group that made the funding of rtx phase 3 possible, and also a ongoing gene-project at Haukeland university hospital.

We try to become bigger so that we always have the money to start a promising project instantly.
:thumbsup: