1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
No Longer Naive in the Ways of The Beast
After having lived for years with ME/CFS, Jody Smith learned there's more to this beast of an illness than she realized, and that what might help one person may not help others ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Plaquenil/ hydroxychloroquine

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Jenny, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    Anyone tried Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine)?

It's for reducing inflammation in autoimmune diseases. Because my clinic has messed up (again) with ordering the low dose naltrexone I'm supposed to be starting, I thought I'd get this out of my chest full of drugs and and give it a go while I'm waiting for the LDN.

It's supposed to work well with azithromycin so I started that as well (and also Sam-e, which I've tried before and thought promising).

After one week I've had a remarkable improvement in pain. Before, almost any movement was painful, but now I'm almost pain free. So it could be due to any of the large number of other things I'm on, but since the Plaquenil is supposed to work on inflammation it's likely to be that. It's supposed to take a couple of months for full effects though.

I'm still bed bound much of the day so it hasn't had much effect on weakness and flu-like symptoms.

You're supposed to have eye tests if taking it for a longish period, but I'll have to stop it when the LDN arrives, so won't be on it longer than a couple of weeks.

Jenny
  2. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Jenny I have been on plaquenil for a pre-existing conditon- for the last 15 years. (Got sick with ME/CFS since Nov 2008) If I was to stop plaquenil today, I believe I would much worse than what I am right now- They also use plaquenil in cases of lyme disease.

FYI I am taking the 400mg dose at bedtime- or in the evening and take with a bit of food not to upset your stomach. It's taken a few weeks before I got full effect. Good luck and please keep posted here on how you're doing with it.

On a different note , I wonder if Plaquenil would suppress XMRV activity, so if you had thoughts of getting tested, it might be best to get tested BEFORE you start the drug. I will get my results tomorrow- not sure if Plaquenil affects it or not.
  3. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    Thanks Kati.

I'll only be on it for a short while as it's not compatible with LDN. I take 200 mg twice a day - I did get a bit of nausea at first, but that got better when I had a bigger breakfast with it.

I've been diagnosed with Lyme, babesia and erlechia (sp?) but I'm not convinced about the diagnoses and been on IV and oral abx for nearly 3 years with no improvement.

Jenny
  4. adamslamb

adamslamb

Two weeks ago I became 80% or more blind because of the Plaquenil. I am 62 and had a complete opthamology exame the first week in June. I was blind in one day on July 24th, same year. No advance warning at all....I just lost my sight in one day. I understand it is irreversible. Although I have read that this only happens to be 3 to 4 % of users, I am now one of those. Do not take Plaquenil or Hydroxychloroquine unless you accept the danger associated with it. It was all going so well because it alleviates pain, but at this price, I would not have done it again. Find something else.

See more popular forum discussions.