The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Plaquenil- Herxing?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by roxnhead, Aug 29, 2016.

1. roxnhead

roxnhead

I was prescribed Plaquenil approximately a month ago. The first week was very difficult, kidney/back pain, salivary gland swelling, body aches, fatigue. By week 2 most symptoms had resolved. Now in week 4 there back- my face, head body aches, incredible fatigue, little nauseous just basically feel like crap. My question is " Does plaquenil cause a herxheimer reaction and if so, to virus? or am I dealing with bacteria or fungal infection?

I started this journey in April with a high CPK due to skeltal muscle damage. Doxyclycline, prednisone did not help. We assumed it was due to high EBV, Coxsackies, Herpes virus titres. Now months later, I am on LDN 4.5mg, Valtrex 1000mg. Prozac 10 mg, all these antivirals and I am not feeling too much better.

I still have the feeling that the reason behind the high viral load is because of some kind of bacterial/fungal infection! That the source of CPK was never found, and all these antivirals have been of very little use! Feeling very frustrated!

I also want to point out my main symptom was extreme leg weakness which resolved after moving from moldy house. So what does extreme mold sensitivity, plaquenil herxing, and a high CPK have in common? It sounds fungal in nature but I don't have any fungal symptoms???? So confused, sorry for rambling......

2. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    You are probably not herxing, for several reasons: It occurs when you take an antibiotic against endotoxin-producing and similar bacteria; the reaction begins shortly after you start the antibiotic; it usually goes away by itself.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarisch–Herxheimer_reaction

Plaquenil is an anti-malarial and anti-inflammatory, so unlikely to cause an inflammatory reaction (and the malaria organism is not a bacterium).

You can have high CPK levels when you are healthy, plus medical tests can give a false positive.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine_kinase

People with CFS/ME typically feel lousy in the absence of overt infection. Valcyte or Famvir (not Valtrex) may or may not help; if they do, it can takes months or years. Doxy never helped me; I don't know if it's helped anyone else. I took Plaquenil for a long time, then stopped because I was worried about the rare but irreversible side effect of blindness. I don't know about Prozac. I am currently taking LDN. I was starting to do better but I crashed after a series of social events.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    roxnhead likes this.
  3. Living Dead

Living Dead Senior Member

No.

Further, Plaquenil and LDN (especially > 3 mg, I think) block TLR4 which is likely to be counter-productive if you have an infection.

roxnhead likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.