Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Plaquenil- Herxing?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by roxnhead, Aug 29, 2016.

1. roxnhead

roxnhead

I was prescribed Plaquenil approximately a month ago. The first week was very difficult, kidney/back pain, salivary gland swelling, body aches, fatigue. By week 2 most symptoms had resolved. Now in week 4 there back- my face, head body aches, incredible fatigue, little nauseous just basically feel like crap. My question is " Does plaquenil cause a herxheimer reaction and if so, to virus? or am I dealing with bacteria or fungal infection?

I started this journey in April with a high CPK due to skeltal muscle damage. Doxyclycline, prednisone did not help. We assumed it was due to high EBV, Coxsackies, Herpes virus titres. Now months later, I am on LDN 4.5mg, Valtrex 1000mg. Prozac 10 mg, all these antivirals and I am not feeling too much better.

I still have the feeling that the reason behind the high viral load is because of some kind of bacterial/fungal infection! That the source of CPK was never found, and all these antivirals have been of very little use! Feeling very frustrated!

I also want to point out my main symptom was extreme leg weakness which resolved after moving from moldy house. So what does extreme mold sensitivity, plaquenil herxing, and a high CPK have in common? It sounds fungal in nature but I don't have any fungal symptoms???? So confused, sorry for rambling......

2. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    You are probably not herxing, for several reasons: It occurs when you take an antibiotic against endotoxin-producing and similar bacteria; the reaction begins shortly after you start the antibiotic; it usually goes away by itself.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarisch–Herxheimer_reaction

Plaquenil is an anti-malarial and anti-inflammatory, so unlikely to cause an inflammatory reaction (and the malaria organism is not a bacterium).

You can have high CPK levels when you are healthy, plus medical tests can give a false positive.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine_kinase

People with CFS/ME typically feel lousy in the absence of overt infection. Valcyte or Famvir (not Valtrex) may or may not help; if they do, it can takes months or years. Doxy never helped me; I don't know if it's helped anyone else. I took Plaquenil for a long time, then stopped because I was worried about the rare but irreversible side effect of blindness. I don't know about Prozac. I am currently taking LDN. I was starting to do better but I crashed after a series of social events.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    roxnhead likes this.
  3. Living Dead

Living Dead Senior Member

No.

Further, Plaquenil and LDN (especially > 3 mg, I think) block TLR4 which is likely to be counter-productive if you have an infection.

roxnhead likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.