1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Plant Extract Honokiol - For Inflammatory Brain Damage ?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Wayne, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    I found this article to be very interesting. -- Sounds like it could be a promising therapy for pw/CFS with brain inflammation symptoms. Definition of Honokiol: A plant extract derived from the bark of the Magnolia tree, which apparently has been used for thousands of years in traditional Japanese and Chinese medicine.

Japanese Traditional Therapy, Honokiol, Blocks Key Protein in Inflammatory Brain Damage, Study Suggests
    L'engle, Jarod, merylg and 1 other person like this.
  2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Very interesting - thanks Wayne.
  3. angela

angela

Hi Wayne, can you explain why you think this could explain why more women have autoimmune issues? I saw this on the protozoa thread and someone on my pots forum also made the arguement on why women are 4x as likely to be affected if protozoa has anything to do with chronic illness.
  4. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi Angela,

Boy, I really couldn't say. I read a theory once that women tend to get Fibromyalgia and develop other autoimmune issues because they take many prescriptions that contain fluoride (which men don't take). Some people are super anti-fluoride, and they believe it explains a lot of the ME/CFS, FM and other women predominant illnesses that are so common these days. --- All just theoretical I guess.
  5. Ruthie24

Ruthie24 Senior Member

New Mexico, USA
    When I was watching those videos from Dr. Klimas' conference in January, the one by Dr. Fletcher and ..sorry can't remember the gentleman's name from Canada...but he did a brilliant job of showing how the male and female immune systems are so hugely different. He broke it down to a basic electrical engineering circuit diagram and said that all the info for the male immune system could be captured in that one diagram.

However, the female immune system he said would take that one circuit diagram plus 3 more copies of it, in order to be able to represent all the info contained in the female immune system. He said this was logical because pregnancy is not just a hormonal event, but also a major immune suppression event as well.

Makes you wonder if females are more prone to auto immune diseases in part because the system is that much more complicated so there are that many more points along the path for things to break down?
  6. beaverfury

beaverfury beaverfury

West Australia

Hi Wayne

Almost a year later ...I've seen your post.

Honokiol sounds tailor made for me/cfs. Analgesic, antidepressant, antithrombotic (i don't know if that makes it anticoagulant), neurotropic. Should downgrade microglial activation through suppressing NF-kB and TNF.

Anyone out there tried it ?
    L'engle likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.