• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pituitary Gland Is Susceptible To CD8 Autoimmunity Resulting From Viral Infection

Hip

Since there is good evidence to believe that chronic fatigue syndrome may be an autoimmune disease, or may have an autoimmunity component, the following study may be of relevance.

Factors affecting the susceptibility of the mouse pituitary gland to CD8 T-cell-mediated autoimmunity

The study authors mention that: "our data indicate that the pituitary gland is susceptible to CD8 autoimmunity following an inflammatory insult such as a viral infection".

Given that the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis is dysfunctional in chronic fatigue syndrome, I wonder whether this HPA axis dysfunction may be triggered by such autoimmune-mediated damage to the pituitary gland.

Waverunner

Very interesting. We need more researchers to look into these studies and we need more research in this field in general.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Yes interesting. Its amazing how alot of research seems to be bringing things together in cfs/me ie nk cells , cd8 t-cells, auto-immunity, retroviruses, herpes viruses. hopefully soon someone can put it altogether. A quick google can find many correlations, so plenty of research out there.

bertiedog

In my case in 2001 my pituitary was affected by mercury poisoning but it seems to have recovered somewhat after having all amalgams removed and 2 years of chelating plus taking methylation supplements since 2007.

The evidence that it recovered at least to some degree is that my TSH was very low 10 years ago even though I was severely hypothyroid. My T4 was at the bottom of the range but with a low TSH that is abnormal so I started taking thyroid medication with good effects (luckily I found a good private doctor who knew about the endocrine system).

Two years ago when I had to come off my thyroid medication because my adrenals were too weak at the time my TSH rose to 5.4 again with a low T4 which in fact was a normal thing to happen in the circumstances. My pituitary was sending out messages for more thyroid hormone whereas 10 years ago it couldn't do this.

Another positive thing is that I have improved a lot on a very low carb diet and I have been able to cut down on my steroid so again it looks as if my endocrine system is improving which is encouraging. My energy is hugely improved and I can do so much more. In my case I have prediabetes which was causing me massive problems.

Pam