• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pip

Jessie 107

I just wanted to know if it is worth trying to claim Pip? My doctor told me last October I have me/cfs, I am now unable to work as I have got worse since then. I can't do much in the house any more, no shopping, walking short distance brings on PEM,I spend a lot of the day resting and can only manage small tasks but not for long. My doctor hasn't been very helpful, just seems to think the lightening process is the way to go but that is definitely not for me.
I don't want to waste my time if there is no chance of being able to claim it.
Thanks in advance,
Jessie

tinacarroll27

I claimed and got PIP but it took 2 tries before I got it. You need to get help if applying. Citizens advice or join benefit and works https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/
or join fightback4 justice http://www.fightback4justice.co.uk/.
Not having support from a GP can be a problem because you need some medical evidence. I was in the same situation, as my GP didn't give me much support for my ME/CFS but she did write me a supportive letter, although I had to pay. If you join fightback4justice they have a letter you can download from their website that you can give to your doctor about writing a supportive letter and fight back 4 justice will come to the assessment with you if you give them enough notice, although you will have to pay, it is worth it because they are experienced in all things connected to benefits. It's not easy but you can get it and you are entitled to it. Good luck!!:)

Last edited:

hellytheelephant

I agree with @tinacarroll27 that you need to get the CAB or someone to handle the form filling and the mountain of paperwork. Even with medical evidence it can take a long time ( I have a lot of evidence and 8 months on I am still waiting to get the date for my Tribunnal.)

And be prepared-it can be stressful....BUT the benefit is to help disabled people live independently- and that sounds like you are struggling. Good luck :)

JohnCB

Immoderate
You should certainly consider claiming PIP, but do your research first. I have successfully claimed PIP this year, after claiming DLA for the previous four years. I did an unsuccessful DLA many years ago. I was ill and off work for many years and I was successful all along with Incapacity Benefit and then ESA when that replaced IB.

You don't say if you have claimed ESA, which is for inablity to work and measures different aspects of your condition. PIP is for disability and in theory at least has nothing to do with whether you can work. You can claim both ESA and PIP, as you post suggests that you were working and had to give up. Once again you need to do the research to see if are able to claim ESA.

A lot of PwME (people with ME/CFS) find it is not easy to claim PIP, having to go through mandatory reconsideration and appeal. It isn't always so however. I got PIP awarded at first attempt and I am not the only one on this forum. You will be advised to get help. For PIP my daughter helped me and did all the phone calls and form filling. I provided detailed answers for the questions. She had her own suggestions and we argued around the answers. She pointed out things I had not thought of - it was useful to have her look at my condition from outside my body. She made suggestions for things I had come to take for granted. She also wrote a long personal statement. I wrote a long personal statement. We worked to the principle that if in doubt write it down. The form went in with copious extra sheets. She also phoned and got me time extensions which allowed me more time to draft answers as I could only do short sessions. Originally my form was due back on New Years Day holiday, which was ridiculous as it would mean that I would have had to post it pretty much straight after Christmas.

To get PIP awarded you also need to be pretty bad. It is harder for us with ME than it is for people with more obviously physical conditions and also conditions that are better accepted and less stigmatised. I put in as much work as I could for the form. Essentially my life revolved around it for some weeks and my daughter put in a lot of effort too. It took me a long time to recover from doing it.

We were able to persuade them that I did need a home visit for the face to face assessment. The woman who came and did that seemed to be a decent person. I think there is something of a post code lottery and there are PwME who suffer from unfriendly assessors.

From my initial DLA claim, you will find that benefits advisers can only give you limited time and they are probably not familiar without needs. I actually I had two sessions of an hour or so to do that first DLA form. The woman who first just picked up the form, read out the questions from the form and waited for me to say what she should write. What I really wanted was someone who understood the process and could advise on how I should present my condition. In the end I had to deal with that. When I did the PIP with my daughter, we spoke on the phone and I sent her batches of text by email and she put everything together on paper for the final submission.

Jessie 107

Thank you all for your replys.
Wow, certainly seems to be a bit of a stressful process! And will take me with while to get my head around it for sure with my fog!
I do have a friend that has claimed Pip (not for M. E) so think I will need her help with this.
I will look into claiming ESA, I didn't know about this, I am married so don't know if this will effect the claim or not.
Seems we have to fight for everything with this illness, I feel ill just thinking about the form filling, but I will try and claim it though.
Thanks again
Jessie