Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Pineapple fund--donation to OMF increased to $5 million!

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Neunistiva, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Just incredible! :balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons:

I know nothing about these things................I just sign them :p.........but is it possible for us all to set up and sign an online 'thank you' card for Ms/Mr Pine? Do we have an address to send it to?

Edit: note to self....................read the post above before you engage brain cell.

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    If this goes through OK then its more money than any government paid for research over most of the history of ME and CFS research. Its only in peak years that the US and UK governments have exceeded that, and for the UK that was PACE which is largely discredited.

I expect this will make a huge difference in driving research forward. I certainly hope so.

The PACE funding was probably spread out over several years so probably does not qualify in this example.

3. IThinkImTurningJapanese

IThinkImTurningJapanese Moderator

Japan
    Mel9, rosa, KristenSF and 6 others like this.
  4. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    Made my day.

Mel9, AdamS, Mary and 5 others like this.
  5. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    @Janet Dafoe (Rose49) Does the OMF have a good idea of how they would like to use this money? Has the second phase of the Big Data Study been funded yet?

Mel9, Sancar, AdamS and 9 others like this.
  6. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Excellent news!

Would be great if this leads to a clinical trial for suramin, identification of Mark Davis’ antigen, validation and clinical application of the nano needle, completion of phase 2 of the severely ill big data study, and validation of the KIR locus genetic findings.

7. Snickers

Snickers

Virginia, USA
    This is AMAZING news!!!

@Ben H Do you know how the donation is handled at all as far as it being bitcoin? Are the bitcoins immediately transferred to cash upon receipt by OMF? I have no clue how all of that works. Was just wondering because bitcoin value has been crashing so I was concerned about the donation losing value. Definitely don't want OMF to lose any of these extremely valuable dollars since every dollar counts for us.

simeyss and Sushi like this.
  8. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    Fantastic News, well done everybody who has helped to make this happen and of course to the donors who are obviously wonderful people.

Pam

Mel9, Binkie4, Mary and 1 other person like this.
  9. markiz2001

markiz2001

They convert right away

Mel9, Snickers and Cinders66 like this.
  10. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    @Ben H @Janet Dafoe (Rose49) @anyone else! If you have contact information for "Pine," could you send them a link to this thread? It is in a public section of the forum so they don't have to be a member to read it. :):thumbsup::angel::hug:

11. Cam Newton

Cam Newton

Mark Davis’ findings should be at the top of our list since they are closest to an actual cause of me/cfs. Although I am optimistic about suramin, it probably won’t work. The chances that any one drug, that hasn’t yet been tested, will work on me/cfs is very low.

Obviously Ron knows this, and I trust his prioitization.

Binkie4, TreePerson and Sushi like this.
  12. Comet

Comet I'm Not Imaginary

:heart::heart::heart:

Best news ever!

Huge thanks to Pine, @Ben H, @Silencio, @Cheesus, Marilyn from OMF, Linda, and everyone else who made this happen. :angel:

Wow! :trophy:

Mel9, lafarfelue, Joh and 4 others like this.
  13. Ember

Ember Senior Member

14. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    I just sent an e-mail thank you - could not figure out how to do Reddit! :confused: Pineapple Fund website says they probably won't respond to e-mails but they do read every one :nerd:

Countrygirl, Mel9, mrquasar and 2 others like this.
  15. Stretched

Stretched Senior Member

U.S., Southeast
    Wonderful, but why all the cryptic aura: anonymous benefactor, use of Bitcoin contingency with up and down in value (per above)?

Why not convert enough B to = $5M U.S.?

It’s kind of like receiving a gift in diamonds, today worth $5M. While we will gratefully take it, the value can swing depending on review of carats, color, cut, clarity, and
    on the somewhat controlled supply relative to demand. In Bitcoins’ market there’s open market supply and demand, so $5M today may be $2M next week... .

16. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
  17. Stretched

Stretched Senior Member

U.S., Southeast
    I’ll scratch my head and point North while I figure that one out=&

18. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Would have helped if my last sentence was at all coherent. Let's try again:

Joh and Stretched like this.
  19. Stretched

Stretched Senior Member

U.S., Southeast
    Hey, not to look a gift horse in the mouth! I want my CFS to be cured, too;~)

E.man likes this.
  20. AdamS

AdamS Senior Member

I created a thread about this HERE after the first donation was made incase you missed it.

Since making the thread, I stumbled across a really important piece by Dr Klimas about the success with Gulf War Illness research/trials. She reckoned that it was a pretty innovative/aggressive template to follow and it had yielded 22 clinical trials for GWI at the time it was written.

One of the key points she makes is that sub-grouping is becoming increasingly important in ME/CFS when considering treatments. For example, gender and different mediators such as viral illness, autoimmunity or toxic exposure could all be important when considering more tailored treatment/drug repurposing.

I've made a very basic model below to illustrate what I mean:

[​IMG]

It seems that getting the subgroups right first could be important. This is probably something that Ron and the team are focusing on anyway though.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018

See more popular forum discussions.