Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Pinched nerve in my neck is killing me!

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by Gingergrrl, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I will spare you guys the whole story b/c it is excruciatingly painful to type. I finally saw my chiropractor today (who is amazing and has treated me since my car accident in 2006) and he confirmed that I have a pinched nerve in the right side of my neck. He said b/c my muscles are so weak the two vertebrae are basically frozen and the nerve is not moving (I am paraphrasing- not a quote.) He did multiple different treatments today (starting very gentle) and I already feel some improvement and go back on Weds.

I was just wondering if anyone has any other ideas? Prior to the chiropractor, I have been taking painkillers, ice, heat, TENS unit, Turmeric, Arnica, Salonpas (pain patches), etc. He said some of what I am doing will not work for nerve pain but to keep doing the ice and he is doing traction and having me do some gentle neck stretches and did ultrasound. We will only do a neck adjustment as a last resort (b/c it scares me :eek:.)

I just wanted you guys to know why I am not around or responding to messages b/c when I type, the pain shoots down my right arm and keeps me awake all night.

Thanks for listening.

2. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    So sorry to hear this! I really hope you get some relief soon. We miss you!:bouquet::balloons:

zzz, WillowJ and Gingergrrl like this.
  3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    A very good chiropractor prescribed this method of gentle neck traction for me. You might ask your chiropractor if he thinks it could help you. You blow it up with the squeeze bulb to get the level that you want. I think you wear it for about 20 minutes a day.
    upload_2015-3-9_20-58-23.png

4. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi Ginger,

You may want to check out this REFLEXOLOGY EXERCISE for neck issues. -- Good luck!

GracieJ, SDSue, oceiv and 1 other person like this.
  5. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    I hope that improves for you soon..

oceiv and Gingergrrl like this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Please look after yourself. We would rather miss you for a few days and have you well than have you struggling to type in pain. I have had severe wry neck, and severe back and arm and hand pains for typing, so I can relate somewhat. Take it easy if you can, you deserve the chance and time to heal.

Valentijn, NK17, WillowJ and 4 others like this.
  7. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Thank you, Alex, and that is very wise! You are very sweet to say that and I really appreciate it. Thank you to everyone else too for all your feedback re: ideas for my neck pain.

WillowJ, oceiv, Wayne and 2 others like this.
  8. Dr.Patient

Dr.Patient There is no kinship like the one we share!

USA
    zzz likes this.
  9. NK17

NK17 Senior Member

I'm thinking of you @Gingergrrl and hope the pinched nerve will leave you alone very soon.
    Neuropathic pain is the worst!

Gingergrrl likes this.
  10. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Just to briefly mention, I have recollections of reading many years ago of pwCFS having very adverse reactions to neurontin.

11. GracieJ

GracieJ Senior Member

Utah
    @Gingergrrl Hugs!!

Wish I could work on you. I get a lot of post injury and post surgery clients. There is a good amount that the right injury massage techniques can do to relieve this from the tense muscle angle without causing pain.

WillowJ, Gingergrrl and Wayne like this.
  12. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Thanks again to everyone in this thread and to those who sent me PM's and emails and I so badly want to respond to everything in detail!

My neck & arm pain is bad again today and also severe pain in the right side of my jaw- I am sure from the same nerve. The chiro treatment really helped for about 24 hrs so am hopeful when I see him tomorrow it will help again.

@Dr.Patient and @Wayne I am conflicted re: Neurontin and heard mixed things exactly like you said. I tried it when my right arm was severely injured by Levaquin in 2010 and it did not help me at that time. But I definitely do not rule it out.

WillowJ likes this.
  13. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    Take care of yourself. It's ok if you delay or don't answer everything.

I'm glad you got some relief at least for a bit. Hope it helps tomorrow, too.

Hugs.

I had a bad reaction, but it stopped within a day or three after I stopped the drug. I know of other people who do use TCAs, though, and find that they help.

EDIT: sorry, that was about nortiptylene. I cannot brain; I have the fog.

Neurontin below.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    Gingergrrl likes this.
  14. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Thanks @WillowJ and I have to take a break from posting, it is just hard b/c so many posts I would like to respond to! I feel so connected to so many people here both on and off the board but need this injury to heal. It is frustrating :mad:.

Just curious, what was your injury that you took Neurontin for and what was the bad reaction? (If you remember and are comfortable sharing of course!)

WillowJ likes this.
  15. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

Hi, @Gingergrrl. One idea is for your chiropractor to use an activator on you rather than doing a manual adjustment on your neck. A common type of activator is called an Arthrostim. It doesn't hurt at all, and I find it really helps.

http://www.impacinc.net/arthrostim.html

This probably wouldn't work for the side of your neck, but you might think about an acupressure mat. I use one called Heavenly Mat after Wayne wrote about it.

It's a mat with a lot of prongs. You lie on it, and it revs up your circulation and brings fresh blood to the area.

I use it on a yoga mat and put a small pillow under the top of the mat. I position myself so that the top of my neck is on the top of the mat. I also put a pillow under my knees.

I use it for 20 minutes, but I started off at 12. It takes a little getting used to. Also, I find I need to use the mat against bare skin for it to really be effective. It really helps me with muscle spasms.

Here's a link. There are different brands. I got mine at AZ.

http://www.heavenlymats.com/

Misfit Toy and Gingergrrl like this.
  16. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @perchance dreamer Thank you for the info. The activator looks scary but the mat looks interesting and something I might want to try. I see my chiro again on Fri and will inquire about both.

17. oceiv

oceiv Senior Member

Hey @Gingergrrl 1) One cause of "weak" muscles is abnormal muscle tension . A gentle PT might be able to help. 2) Cranio-sacral and/or very gentle (not deep) myofascial work might also help. Feel better soon.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  18. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    I hope this awful pain will be behind you very soon @Gingergrrl ! Take care !

Gingergrrl and WillowJ like this.
  19. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    I think I got mixed up between Neurontin/gabapentin (which helped for pain but gave me more brain fog) and nortiptylene (which did nothing good and made me feel awful). I will fix the above post.

Hugs and I hope you feel better soon.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  20. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi @perchance dreamer,

Interesting that you bought your mat after I mentioned it on the forum. I never got one, but clicking on your link and reading about it again makes me think it would be an ideal birthday present (April 5). So thanks for that. :)

Just curious, what does AZ stand for? Amazon?

Gingergrrl likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.