• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pinched nerve in my neck is killing me!

Gingergrrl

I will spare you guys the whole story b/c it is excruciatingly painful to type. I finally saw my chiropractor today (who is amazing and has treated me since my car accident in 2006) and he confirmed that I have a pinched nerve in the right side of my neck. He said b/c my muscles are so weak the two vertebrae are basically frozen and the nerve is not moving (I am paraphrasing- not a quote.) He did multiple different treatments today (starting very gentle) and I already feel some improvement and go back on Weds.

I was just wondering if anyone has any other ideas? Prior to the chiropractor, I have been taking painkillers, ice, heat, TENS unit, Turmeric, Arnica, Salonpas (pain patches), etc. He said some of what I am doing will not work for nerve pain but to keep doing the ice and he is doing traction and having me do some gentle neck stretches and did ultrasound. We will only do a neck adjustment as a last resort (b/c it scares me :eek:.)

I just wanted you guys to know why I am not around or responding to messages b/c when I type, the pain shoots down my right arm and keeps me awake all night.

Thanks for listening.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
A very good chiropractor prescribed this method of gentle neck traction for me. You might ask your chiropractor if he thinks it could help you. You blow it up with the squeeze bulb to get the level that you want. I think you wear it for about 20 minutes a day.
upload_2015-3-9_20-58-23.png

Gingergrrl

Thanks again to everyone in this thread and to those who sent me PM's and emails and I so badly want to respond to everything in detail!

My neck & arm pain is bad again today and also severe pain in the right side of my jaw- I am sure from the same nerve. The chiro treatment really helped for about 24 hrs so am hopeful when I see him tomorrow it will help again.

@Dr.Patient and @Wayne I am conflicted re: Neurontin and heard mixed things exactly like you said. I tried it when my right arm was severely injured by Levaquin in 2010 and it did not help me at that time. But I definitely do not rule it out.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Thanks again to everyone in this thread and to those who sent me PM's and emails and I so badly want to respond to everything in detail!
Take care of yourself. It's ok if you delay or don't answer everything.

I'm glad you got some relief at least for a bit. Hope it helps tomorrow, too.

Hugs.

Just to briefly mention, I have recollections of reading many years ago of pwCFS having very adverse reactions to neurontin.
I had a bad reaction, but it stopped within a day or three after I stopped the drug. I know of other people who do use TCAs, though, and find that they help.

EDIT: sorry, that was about nortiptylene. I cannot brain; I have the fog.

Neurontin below.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

Thanks @WillowJ and I have to take a break from posting, it is just hard b/c so many posts I would like to respond to! I feel so connected to so many people here both on and off the board but need this injury to heal. It is frustrating :mad:.

Just curious, what was your injury that you took Neurontin for and what was the bad reaction? (If you remember and are comfortable sharing of course!)

perchance dreamer

Hi, @Gingergrrl. One idea is for your chiropractor to use an activator on you rather than doing a manual adjustment on your neck. A common type of activator is called an Arthrostim. It doesn't hurt at all, and I find it really helps.

http://www.impacinc.net/arthrostim.html

This probably wouldn't work for the side of your neck, but you might think about an acupressure mat. I use one called Heavenly Mat after Wayne wrote about it.

It's a mat with a lot of prongs. You lie on it, and it revs up your circulation and brings fresh blood to the area.

I use it on a yoga mat and put a small pillow under the top of the mat. I position myself so that the top of my neck is on the top of the mat. I also put a pillow under my knees.

I use it for 20 minutes, but I started off at 12. It takes a little getting used to. Also, I find I need to use the mat against bare skin for it to really be effective. It really helps me with muscle spasms.

Here's a link. There are different brands. I got mine at AZ.

http://www.heavenlymats.com/

Gingergrrl

@perchance dreamer Thank you for the info. The activator looks scary but the mat looks interesting and something I might want to try. I see my chiro again on Fri and will inquire about both.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Thanks @WillowJ and I have to take a break from posting, it is just hard b/c so many posts I would like to respond to! I feel so connected to so many people here both on and off the board but need this injury to heal. It is frustrating :mad:.

Just curious, what was your injury that you took Neurontin for and what was the bad reaction? (If you remember and are comfortable sharing of course!)

I think I got mixed up between Neurontin/gabapentin (which helped for pain but gave me more brain fog) and nortiptylene (which did nothing good and made me feel awful). I will fix the above post.

Hugs and I hope you feel better soon.

Wayne

Here's a link. There are different brands. I got mine at AZ.

Hi @perchance dreamer,

Interesting that you bought your mat after I mentioned it on the forum. I never got one, but clicking on your link and reading about it again makes me think it would be an ideal birthday present (April 5). So thanks for that. :)

Just curious, what does AZ stand for? Amazon?