August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Pilot study: "Identification of anti-citrullinated protein antibodies in ‪CFS‬" plus call for funds

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Results of pilot study: "Identification of anti-citrullinated protein antibodies in ‪CFS‬"

http://immunedysfunction.org/future15.html

The Vermont ‪#CFIDS‬ Association aka ImmuneDysfunction.org wants to raise $27000 to do a larger study (see link)

I think it would probably be better if people don't try to convert the image file into text for posting elsewhere as:
    (i) perhaps they will want to publish it;
    (ii) it could get separated from the call for funds for a larger study.

nandixon, *GG*, waiting and 3 others like this.
  2. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Dolphin likes this.
  3. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

So... anti-citrullinated protein antibodies are frequently found in other diseases, reliable tests exist for measuring these antibodies for the purpose of diagnosing rheumatoid arthritis... and nobody has thought about ruling out this possibility in ME/CFS before this study?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    leela likes this.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Positives: 7/25 patients, 2/25 controls in the pilot study...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti–citrullinated_protein_antibody

Target citrullinated antigens in RA, including fibrinogen, deiminated Epstein-Barr Virus Nuclear Antigen 1 and vimentin...

See also:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrullination

Additional edit:
    What drives deimination?

There seems to be some discussion of deimination of small cyokines (chemokines) such as CXCL8, CXCL10, CXCL11 and others.

What about deimination of GPCRs? Does this serve any functional purpose or would it only happen by accident?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Bob, RL_sparky and SOC like this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    One of the things that is suggestive and intriguing about this study, but far from proven to be important, is that a third of patients is about the proportion of Rituximab patients who respond and we have not yet found any antibody to investigate. Depending on where the research goes this could prove interesting.

leela, L'engle, Webdog and 2 others like this.
  7. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

I thought it was closer to two thirds response for rtx.

Webdog likes this.
  8. adreno

adreno PR activist

Could this be related to the fact that both arginine and citrulline makes my symptoms markedly worse?

leela and John Mac like this.
  9. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

There are several positive antibodies found in CFS patients. What is causing this. Could it be due to impaired function of B cells? In that case, I think that EBV -living in B cells- may be a major player.

10. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    Same for me. Tried starting these supplements 3 times and each time felt lousy.

11. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I seem to remember the Norway rituximab studies having a two-thirds response rate overall and roughly a 50% response rate when compared to the control group. But my memory is bad.

BurnA likes this.
  12. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    funkyqueen likes this.
  13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

They have identified possible autoantibody mechanisms in roughly half the responders, which leaves half completely unaccounted for. The finding in the paper in this thread potentially, and this is not proven at all, may account for that other half.

Webdog, SOC and Bob like this.
  14. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Patent applications typically cover a range of options. They seek to secure rights before the research is finalized. Citrulline, by itself, and citrullilne modified proteins, are not the same thing. One does have to wonder though what conditions would permit citrulline to worsen the protein damage.

Jenny likes this.
  15. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Ah, I see what you mean now. Thanks for clarifying, Alex.

funkyqueen likes this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

It would be easy to replicate in all ME/CFS service units and it would be worth checking out. I would like to see the actual readings for each patient before commenting on the data. Two positives in 25 controls is not quite as expected. One would have thought they would make sure the controls did not have RA in advance! The description of the study seems a bit naive but there is no harm in that if the results are repeatable. I would be a bit surprised if a third of patients with ME had ACPA since ACPA would be a pretty standard screen for someone with fatigue and limb pain these days.

17. SOC

SOC

Interesting point. This should have been picked up if ME patients are routinely tested. Let's do a casual poll... Who has had an ACPA screen as part of their ME assessment? Is the test more commonly given in some countries than others?

I have not had this test and I am in the US.

18. adreno

adreno PR activist

I never had this, or any other antibody tests conducted.

Snow Leopard and SOC like this.
  19. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

I've had this tested and it was negative.

merylg, L'engle, Snow Leopard and 2 others like this.
  20. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I don't think I've had this test. I've had a couple for rheumatoid arthritis (waaler rose and rheumatoid factor) but these don't detect anti-citrullinated protein antibodies right?

L'engle and Snow Leopard like this.

See more popular forum discussions.