1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Phoenix Writing: join our team of writers and editors!

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Firestormm, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

View the Post on the Blog

View the Post on the Blog

aimossy, rosie26, Sushi and 1 other person like this.
  2. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Aw, don't be shy - come and joing the blogging party. Personally I find writing blogs doesn't come that easily but it's great to have the chance to talk to a big audience on Phoenix Rising, with feedback included. I even heard from an old school friend I'd lost touch with, but because he saw my blog he could reach me and we're back in contact.

SickOfSickness, Nielk, Bob and 3 others like this.
  3. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

I'd be happy to write an article specifically on endorphin deficiency.

4. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY

Thank you xks201 and thank you for breaking the silence here on this thread. Hopefully others will follow.:)

Simon likes this.
  5. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

When do you want me to submit it?

6. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Please contact Firestormm via private conversation. Thank you.;)

7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

You've set the standard intimidatingly high simon. Leave us in the dank basement of this site's forum, where we belong.

8. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    I want to thank all those who have come forward to offer to help with either editing or with writing and contributing articles :thumbsup:

The offer remains open at any time to anyone. It's your community as much as it is ours and in order to remain the largest and most accessible forum in the world, it depends on volunteers giving their time to ensure it continues to not only function, but remains interesting and attractive.

If you don't feel able to write something on your own, then why not consider a collaborative effort? We often work together to get an idea fleshed out, and published.

Contact me with an outline of you idea or with your offer of help.

Thanks again :)

Bob likes this.
  9. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    You know what we haven't had for a while now, Esther? Personal stories. It isn't only science that draws an audience to the articles that gets published.

I was checking through the statistics - Wdb sends them around every so often - and people are as interested in stories relating to 'life with ME' as they are to the science and 'politics'.

One of the current Content Team was going to review all the published articles and look at audience numbers - maybe when we get some time, this would help people see the range of subjects that do seem to appeal.

Anyway, Simon ain't that good ;) :rofl:

Simon likes this.
  10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Aim higher than the audience! Celebrity stories get more hits that good science reporting too. When topic choices are guided by hits, every website on the planet becomes dominated by Kardashian updates.

Valentijn likes this.
  11. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Not sure what you mean? It's Sunday and I'm not with it o_O

The personal stories and 'life' observations do attract a lot of interest, but past stats don't guide any decision. In fact I am not aware we have ever turned down an article.

I could I suppose give Martine a call - I have her number here somewhere - and see if she'd like to contribute? But that wasn't what I meant :D

Esther12 and Bob like this.
  12. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Sorry fire. I deleted half of my last post because I thought it was a bit too silly-jokey-rude about people who like personal stories - but it made less sense without it! I was just playing about, and being mean about the internet's need for more personal stories from cfs patients.

peggy-sue, Firestormm and Bob like this.
  13. GcMAF Australia

GcMAF Australia Senior Member

Thank you all for your writings and contributions.
    I was doing some Lyme Disease stuff, but it has been sidelined by other events.

14. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    We need more articles on PR, and therefore more to write them. My serious articles are on hold indefinitely, until a little more of my brain comes back - I can only manage very superficial concentration right now. Something like this post I could write while half asleep with a flu, and after drinking half a bottle of rum ... not that I drink alcohol, I can't tolerate it.

However the single biggest challenge to advocacy, ME and CFS in decades is facing us right now. Its the HHS/IOM initiative at the same time as the CDC is refusing to use our best test in their new study. They think some things are not negotiable, apparently. That is right. Refusing to consult with our experts, ignoring the community, and sidelining advocacy organizations is not something we negotiate with. Its unacceptable, now and in the future.

Why is the HHS/IOM issue not number one in our PR banner? As the biggest challenge facing advocacy since the definition of CFS and the rise of psychobabble, why is it not getting number one billing?

Articles are important, and some may be written soon on the HHS/IOM issue. However if we ignore this crisis, if we allow things to progress according to what the HHS/IOM plan, then there is huge risk. The potential downside is huge, while the upside ... it is not clear there is any upside. They might surprise us by doing something right, but in that unlikely case they will have done it the wrong way.

15. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    I will say again, what I said to those who also appear to be echoing your thoughts Alex:

Original comment can be found here.

And a more recent comment written this morning, here.

16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi Firestormm, my comment is not really about articles. Its about why articles are more important than this crisis for the banner. I have no idea who decides on the banner, when or why, or even if everyone has been too busy to consider it. I am just making a suggestion that this is too important to have many of us unaware its an issue. Alex.

17. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Alex. The banner is changed each time a new article is published. We try and publish 2 articles each week. We don't 'sticky' any banner. Even on Facebook we only 'sticky' the article that is currently published.

If you want to suggest that - as and when - an article for the IOM issue is written and published, the banner promoting it is 'stickied' until a specific time: then I don't have an issue with the suggestion - we can ask what others think of it at the time.

When an article on this issue is submitted. It does mean of course that all subsequent articles go without this promotion on the forums. There is also a white box to the right on the 'all forums' page that lists the (I think) more recent 4 articles. And the articles themselves do of course have their own forum - and are featured on the Home page of the website.

If the issue gains enough comments then it is sure to stay at the top of the discussion charts, but we can look to use the banner for specific issues if that is your suggestion.

alex3619 likes this.
  18. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    I just hope the light from above can inspire others. Though I think even Fire's comment is rather generous.
    actually, more celeb stories is just what PR needs, though maybe ME celebs: "Judy Mikovits and Simon Wessely spotted in same city", breathless commentary follows.

Valentijn likes this.
  19. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Thanks again to all those who have contacted me in recent weeks to volunteer their help on the Content Team - to help us get articles ready for publication - or who have expressed a wish to write something and are willing to submit a draft.

In coming weeks it is my hope that you will start to see these new writers published. 'New blood' is always welcome and I hope the Team will continue to grow.

Russell.

See more popular forum discussions.