1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Philosophy of the Canadian Criteria: Carruthers's Cheshire Cat (Research paper)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by oceanblue, Aug 30, 2010.

1. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    Here's something a little different: the author of the Canadian Consensus Criteria explains some of the thinking behind them, in a way not usually seen in scientifc publications. Published in the J Clinical Pathology, 2007

Definitions and aetiology of myalgic encephalomyelitis: how the Canadian consensus clinical definition of myalgic encephalomyelitis works

Despite the title it's more of a philosophical work and I don't pretend to understand all of it, but he does make some interesting comments on the danger of the biopsychosocial model. I've picked out of few of my favourite quotes.

On the Canadian Consensus criteria:
    On the biopsychosocial approach:
    Ok, it's not an easy read...

In case you thought that people conjouring up a lopsided view of an illness is new, he quotes Thomas Sydenham, a 17th Century English Physician:
    He concludes by highlighting the dangers of not properly defining ME/CFS, using the example of the smile of the Cheshire Cat:
    I thought people might enjoy something different. Apologies if it's been posted before.

2. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Very interesting, and a direct challenge to the 'bio-psycho-social' model of ME/CFS.

The basic philosophy expressed by the CCC author is not new.

3. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Thanks oceanblue. This is wonderful! Amazing what can happen when a group of thinking caring people get together. Carruthers, Klimas.............. they not only have a deep understanding of the disease symptoms, but of the history and politics of it + of human frailty as well.

In 7 years, nothing has come close to the CCD and overivew.

4. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    Wow, Hippocrates was quite a wise bunny. Wonder what he'd make of the Wesselyites? Presumably much the same thing.

5. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Yeah, and spot the irony - Hipocrates, of course, is the father of the Western medical tradition. Hence the Hipocratic oath.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipocrates

See more popular forum discussions.