• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Phil Parker On Wikipedia trying top get SMILE added

Hip

If dowsing works via the proposed mechanism, then you'd be able to use the Dowser for something useful such as fixing your car, or finding whether downed powerlines are live.

How would the propensity to be able to sense minute changes in magnetic field strength of the order of 100 nanonteslas translate into being good at car mechanics?

Hip

Why aren't these findings published in reputable scholarly journals?
(or why didn't you link to them?)

I am typing up the info from chapter 10 of the book Dowsing: New Light on an Ancient Art by Tom Williamson, which I have here as a hard copy. It does provide the study references:

It looks like the University of Lund study I mentioned earlier is this one:
Unkonventionelle Wasserfindung — Betz, Hans-Dieter, 1991

The German Munich study with a 5000 nanotesla magnetic field from a magnet buried in the ground is this one:
Erdstrahlen? Der Wünschelruten-Report — H. L. König und H.-D. Betz, 1989

The Utah State University study mentioned is this one:
Detection of Magnetic Fields Caused by Groundwater — Duane G. Chadwick Larry Jensen, 1971

Most of the scientific meat of the Williamson book is found in chapter 10, but unfortunately this chapter does not appear to be available online in the above link to Amazon.

HowToEscape?

How would the propensity to be able to sense minute changes in magnetic field strength of the order of 100 nanonteslas translate into being good at car mechanics?

I'm being facetious; The idea is that they could find hidden electrical faults. Of course the current to be detected would have to be AC, and the problem you're looking for in a car is generally DC.

Wonko

On the mysterious finding faults in electrical things front I used to be able to fix dead computers by opening them up, applying power, and I could immediately "feel" which bit wasn't working. I had a reputation for it, eventually "we" came to the conclusion I must be subconsciously hearing ultrasounds that told me what the problem was - dunno - I never "heard" anything, but I was rarely wrong. This was in the days (1980-95 ish) when computers had socketted chips, multiple cards, all buried in a maze of other components - not like it is now.

I could do the same with most electronics, tv's, radios, ticket machines etc. (despite knowing virtually nothing about electronics at the time), one of my uncles was the same with refrigeration systems, show him a broken one and he could fix it, no manual (he couldn't read), never seen it before - no problem.

I now realize "we" were wrong - it must have been the magnetic stuff people seem so keen on here ;)

But, just because I "believe" in one impossible thing doesn't mean I have to believe in all of them ;)