The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Pharmaceutical firms 'giving up' on Alzheimer's treatment after expensive failed trials

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Kate_UK, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Kate_UK

Kate_UK Senior Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...treatment-series-expensive-failed-trials.html

Sherlock likes this.
  2. currer

currer Senior Member

I thought untrammelled private enterprise was the solution to all problems!

3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Drug companies don't like to move forward until they have well characterised targets. Fortunately, primary research into Alzheimer's disease is funded at a healthy rate and has been ramping up strongly given the projected future burden.

Enid likes this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Basic research is not the job of big pharma. Its the job of foundations, universities and government funded projects. Big pharma can more effectively develop drugs if the basic research is done. If the biochemistry is not understood, or not sufficiently understood, then big pharma could be heading for a loss on their investment. This is an area where govenment funding is crucial: there is no financial incentive for this kind of research in the short to medium term. Bye, Alex

5. Ian

Ian Senior Member

By the time you have Alzheimers your brain is totally destroyed. There is no magic pill to fix this.

See more popular forum discussions.