• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PGE2m - Prostaglandin E2 (dinoprostone)

snowathlete

So of all my tests that got run recently, this one is the one which was described as "strongly increased":
PGE2m Prostaglandin E2 (dinoprostone)

I dont know what the m on the end stands for or what signficiance it may have.

My result is 28.03 (normal range: 0.17-6.45)

I read somewhere that this can have something to do with tumors...which is only interesting, if I am right about that, because I got a small growth of some kind on the ball of my foot about a month or two ago. Related? I don't know.

Anyone know anything about PGE2?

Thanks

I was tested for PGE2f (0.10 - 2.8). I was normal.

I believe, in our case, this is tested as an inflammatory marker.

Sushi

I was also tested for PGE2f and mine was pretty high. I also believe this to be a marker for inflammation. It makes sense that it would come up elevated as all previous tests that look for inflammation (PCR, elastase) have always been very high / through the roof high so I know inflammation is definitely and issue for me. :/

Daffodil

So of all my tests that got run recently, this one is the one which was described as "strongly increased":

I read somewhere that this can have something to do with tumors...which is only interesting, if I am right about that, because I got a small growth of some kind on the ball of my foot about a month or two ago. Related? I don't know.

Thanks
Prostaglandin E2 is elevated in alzheimer's disease and ALS too. I found some articles about this but they are over my head.

I also read that PG E2 inhibits secretion of gastric acid, which would result in all kinds of gut issues.

Aspirin can increase secretion of HCL, which is perhaps why my doctor recommended an Aspirin every morning..my PGE2 was very high, too.

xo

Last edited:

Thinktank

Maybe try berberine, that's what i've been recommended to take for highly elevated PGE2.
In my case it's related to lyme disease. PGE2 can really screw up the hypothalamus leading to HPA dysfunction.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Thanks

I did a blogpost about links between PGE2, other inflammatory chemicals, ME and polyuria, in case this is of interest.

MeSci

I was tested for PGE2f (0.10 - 2.8). I was normal.

I believe, in our case, this is tested as an inflammatory marker.

Sushi

Could the 'm' and 'f' relate to male and female? Maybe the different genders tend to have different levels, hence the letter to help determine whether it is normal, high or low? Just a guess.

But I found one site that said the 'm' meant metabolite.

snowathlete

Maybe try berberine, that's what i've been recommended to take for highly elevated PGE2.
In my case it's related to lyme disease. PGE2 can really screw up the hypothalamus leading to HPA dysfunction.

I was on berberine most of last year. Can't recall if it lowered it or not. Will try to check.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I recognize "PGE2" but I have no idea what that additional "m" or "f" means. I tried to search but didn't find anything useful.

Prostaglandins (PGE2 and others) are also an important factor in endometriosis. This is related because a study (many years ago) found that women with endometriosis are more likely to have an ME/CFS diagnosis or autoimmune problems. (see http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/sep2002/nichd-26.htm)

Endometriosis is yet another one of those diseases that does not get enough funding or respect from the medical community. And women's symptoms are often ignored or downplayed ("it can't hurt that bad...") even after a surgical diagnosis (and a patient can't fake having endometrial tissue in the wrong place).

A few links:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20511671

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22003899

http://www.endo-resolved.com/prostaglandins.html

Last edited:

MeSci

Just looked up berberine on Examine.com and think I will give that a miss, as it has potentially adverse effects on the gut and muscle and maybe neurons as well. See here.

alex3619

I have written about issues related to this for a long time. Its a deep topic. I first got interested in this in 1993.

M is for metabolite I think, eg;

http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/content/5/11/937
stable PGE2 metabolite 13, 14-dihydro-15-keto-PGE2 (PGE2-M)

They look for metabolites because eicosanoids in general, which include prostaglandins such as PGE2, often have a half life of seconds. They are hormones that typically operate in ranges of less than a millimeter. The eicosanoids are darn hard to find, but stable metabolites can persist for many hours.

Its been apparent since the late 80s that something might be wrong with eicosanoid regulation in ME and CFS. Inflammatory hormones, nitric oxide, peroxynitrite, glutathione depletion, oxidative stress and other things can affect this. We still do not know much about it though, and this area of science evolves very fast, with new eicosanoids being discovered regularly.

Last edited:

MeSci

I have written about issues related to this for a long time. Its a deep topic. I first got interested in this in 1993.

M is for metabolite I think, eg;

http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/content/5/11/937

So what would 'f' be?

Sometimes health workers' (including doctors and labs) notation terms are very esoteric and hard to find definitions for from internet searches. I've had this problem before.

I was baffled by 'BMs' on a report of my condition at a hospital, but it turns out to be a common term amongst health workers to mean blood glucose. A bit of internet searching found a nurses' forum where even some of them were baffled by the abbreviation!

EDIT - have just looked in a couple of files of medical abbreviations that I have saved, but there is nothing about PGE tests.

alex3619

I have been trying to figure out "f". So far I am baffled. Shhhh, don't tell anyone.

Very often though PGE2 is mentioned in conjunction with an F-something receptor, I wonder if that is what it is about. I haven't looked into this enough yet.

Eg. receptor FPR2/ALX
But also PGF2.

MeSci

I have been trying to figure out "f". So far I am baffled. Shhhh, don't tell anyone.

Very often though PGE2 is mentioned in conjunction with an F-something receptor, I wonder if that is what it is about. I haven't looked into this enough yet.

Eg. receptor FPR2/ALX
But also PGF2.

It's OK, Alex - even superheroes like you and I don't know everything! :D

halcyon

And I guess more to the point of the the original question, PGE2M appears to be 13,14-dihydro-15-keto-prostaglandin E2 which is another metabolite of PGE2 it seems.