Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Pfizer to pay $60 million for bribery and corruption

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Aug 8, 2012.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

Still a far cry from Glaxo Smith Kline recent $ 3 billion bribery fine. Must try harder guys :eek:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...426f5e-e0b6-11e1-8fc5-a7dcf1fc161d_story.html

2. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England
    Thanks Natasa. I am a little confused by the article however. It begins with claims that these actions sought 'regulatory approval for the company's drugs' but the remaining article does not infer that this occurred, rather that the actions were to boost sales and promote their drugs' use by doctors in other countries.

Aside from the fact that Pfizer themselves reported the issue (and coupled with this fact it might be in part why the fine was comparatively less that GSK (although I believe with the latter the reported practice was far more widespread and unethical from memory hence perhaps the larger fine)) I think they are referring to drugs that had already been approved for use in those countries.

What I mean is that these were not experimental drugs or ones potentially more dangerous than had been reported at the approval stage. At least the article does not infer they were. However, the sales practices were wrong and I am glad it has been revealed in this manner.

It would have been useful to know whether the individuals at management level who told the salespeople to do this were fired. If they weren't then they perhaps should have been.

See more popular forum discussions.