The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Pexidartinib (PLX-3397) -- A new drug for replacing microglia

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Jesse2233, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Hey everyone,

I've stumbled across a new drug called Pexidartinib (PLX-3397) that repopulates microglia. It's currently being trialed for cancer and tumors.

I've not seen this drug discussed anywhere in regards to ME/CFS

From a study using adult mice:

So far there have been some liver toxicity side effects in human trials. But if one only needed to take the drug once to restore healthy microglia then it might be worthwhile.

Of course the big caveats are:
    • Microglia may not be central to ME pathology
    • The new microglia may simply get reprimed when they grow back by some other causal factor
    • Wiping out part of the brain's immune system may not be a good idea if there's a virulent chronic pathogen
    Nonetheless it looks interesting. I've emailed Jared Younger to get his thoughts

2. Sancar

Sancar Sick of being sick ~ and so is my walking buddy

USA
    @Jesse2233 ~ Let us know what Jared Younger replies if you would please. Thank you for sharing your insight and findings!!! Very much appreciated!
    Perhaps there could be trial with this drug as with others that offer 'conditional relief' and hope.
    ~~ For many of us a trial would give us both...

Little Bluestem and Gingergrrl like this.
  3. Deltrus

Deltrus Senior Member

That is amazing thta microglia can regrow that fast. For reference microglia make up 10-15% of the brain and the rest of the brain isn't very good at regenerating at all.

Little Bluestem and Murph like this.
  4. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Response from the good doctor after I sent him a link to the mouse study.
    I'll let you know what he has to say after he reads the study.

5. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

Even if not central, fixing the microglia might make a person feel a little better, if the other two aren't true.

Sancar likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.