Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Petition: Opposing MEGA

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by AndyPR, Oct 19, 2016.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

I can't see it, it may have been deleted as mine has been.

Luther Blissett and dangermouse like this.
  2. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Thanks for letting me know.
    I'm blocked by AfME on Facebook and Twitter, but it was thanks to people like yourself posting on their Facebook that my eyes were opened to what's really been going on with these mainstream UK ME charities.

MEMum, Anne, Luther Blissett and 4 others like this.
  3. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Just browsing the #IIMEC12 Twitter feed...

MEMum, Anne, Luther Blissett and 3 others like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

MEMum, Anne, Luther Blissett and 2 others like this.
  5. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

>We vote 'no confidence' in MEGA research for M.E.

>A closer look at the MEGA petition reveals that key members and advisors of MEGA are involved in the discredited PACE trial, and the MAGENTA trial in children with ME/CFS which follows from the PACE trial, run by leaders of the bio-psycho-social (BPS) movement known collectively as 'The Wessely School'.

In addition
    • They are still not including serious ill ME patients (they might be included in the request for funding after next), and will only be determining their definition of PEM after they've secured funding. o_O
    • The Patient Advisory Group has been shown to be nothing but lip-service to the concept of including patient input.
    • The ME "expert" is still Esther Crawley, who now gives lectures on how to deal with "anti-science" patients, with this petition as a main piece of "evidence", and on how to deny data release.

https://www.change.org/p/opposing-mega-a-vote-of-no-confidence-in-mega-research-for-me-cfs

signatures

MEMum, emmet, Anne and 5 others like this.
  6. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Trial by Error, Continued: My Letter to the University of Bristol
    14 JUNE 2017
    By David Tuller, DrPH
    http://www.virology.ws/2017/06/14/trial-by-error-continued-my-letter-to-the-university-of-bristol/

7. Demepivo

Demepivo Dolores Abernathy

@Esther12 I agree that PR members should have contact with the MRC on MEGA & related matters.

The advocacy groups have had a positive impact on Francis Collins, Head of the NiH, in the US.

Anybody: who is the Head of the MRC?
    What is their background?

MEMum, Hutan and Esther12 like this.
  8. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

This is the response from David Marks, editor of the Journal of Health Psychology, to George Davey-Smith's resignation from the editorial board which, apparently, is due to GD-S belief that the recent PACE critiques are "anti-science". Now where have we heard that idea before, that any criticism of any work by the BPS cult is anti-science?? So if anybody was hoping the involvement of GD-S in MEGA would guarantee rigorous scientific standards in anything MEGA does then you might need to rethink that idea.

Sign the petition here https://www.change.org/p/opposing-mega-a-vote-of-no-confidence-in-mega-research-for-me-cfs

9. Demepivo

@AndyPR I wrote to GDS by email yesterday expressing concern that he had tried to suppress debate on PACE stating that debate is healthy.

Not expecting a reply but got an out of office message.

10. Demepivo

This thread is now 90 pages long! (Apologies if the questions below have already been answered)

*Has any individual or organisation contacted the MRC about concerns with the MEGA application to the MRC Tissue programme?

*Any news emerging about the MEGA application?

MEMum and Luther Blissett like this.
  11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

That was my thought too. While being opposed on balance, I was conflicated on MEGA, but it's become completely clear that MEGA is a project that will be used against patients to try to reinforce the positions of people like Crawley and undermine their critics.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  12. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

MEGA:
    On your Marks, GETSET...................GO!:p

eta: to clarify 'go' as in go away and ....'.

13. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

>We vote 'no confidence' in MEGA research for M.E.

>A closer look at the MEGA petition reveals that key members and advisors of MEGA are involved in the discredited PACE trial, and the MAGENTA trial in children with ME/CFS which follows from the PACE trial, run by leaders of the bio-psycho-social (BPS) movement known collectively as 'The Wessely School'.

In addition
    • They are still not including serious ill ME patients (they might be included in the request for funding after next), and will only be determining their definition of PEM after they've secured funding. o_O
    • The Patient Advisory Group has been shown to be nothing but lip-service to the concept of including patient input.
    • The ME "expert" is still Esther Crawley, who now gives lectures on how to deal with "anti-science" patients, with this petition as a main piece of "evidence", and on how to deny data release.
    • George Davey-Smith, the "heavyweight scientist" in MEGA has resigned from the editorial board of the Journal of Health Psychology due to the publication of "anti-science" articles that criticise PACE.

https://www.change.org/p/opposing-mega-a-vote-of-no-confidence-in-mega-research-for-me-cfs

signatures

MEMum, lilpink, Cornishbird and 5 others like this.
  14. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

And from the petition covering letter: https://www.change.org/p/opposing-m...idence-in-mega-research-for-me-cfs/u/19240607

MEMum, lilpink, JoanDublin and 4 others like this.
  15. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

There's a separate thread on this news, but sharing here as Dr. Nigel Speight supported Opposing MEGA.
    https://opposingmega.wordpress.com/2016/10/28/dr-nigel-speight-signs-opposing-mega/

dangermouse, Anne, MEMum and 6 others like this.
  16. batteredoldbook

batteredoldbook Senior Member

This is really great news. Thanks for sharing it, I'd not have known.

dangermouse, MEMum and Jo Best like this.
  17. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

MEMum and batteredoldbook like this.
  18. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    This is such good news. I wonder if we'll see a reciprocal complaint made against the person who made this vexatious complaint in the first place?

dangermouse, MEMum and Jo Best like this.
  19. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

I wonder how much tax-payer money it cost to investigate this vexatious complaint.

The 2011 complaint against CMRC/MEGA Esther Crawley for research conduct is referenced in the NICE CG53 surveillance consultation document (GMC hadn't addressed all the matters raised, seemingly only those they felt could be rejected, and confused the issue by merging their responses to two separate complainants).

Glad they made the right decision eventually in the case of Dr. Speight though.

20. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

From this post elsewhere http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...conflict-of-interest.52479/page-6#post-876922

George Davey-Smith, the "heavyweight" scientist in MEGA showing his biases again.

Sign the petition here --> https://www.change.org/p/opposing-mega-a-vote-of-no-confidence-in-mega-research-for-me-cfs

3,273 people have signed already.

Anne, slysaint, Valentijn and 6 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.