Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Petition: Opposing MEGA

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by AndyPR, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

BurnA, MEMum, dangermouse and 6 others like this.
  2. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Assuming Opposing MEGA is one of the two petitions mentioned in this slide.
    Opposing MEGA was also linked to in one of the articles by David Tuller on the Virology blogs pictured in the slide. (https://opposingmega.wordpress.com/2016/11/23/dr-david-tuller-explains-why-many-oppose-mega/)

MEMum, Jan, dangermouse and 3 others like this.
  3. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

100% agree. Charities who are involved with EC need to call out her abuse and sever all links with her immediately.

This is the next step.

Hopefully these ME charities will immediately after the bank holiday make statements.

I will tag @charles shepherd here but hopefully the MEA have already prepared their statement.

Jan, Cornishbird, dangermouse and 5 others like this.
  4. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member

We should learn tomorrow what AfME are going to do about signing the letter to 'Psychological Medicine'.

The Trustees' meeting was on Fri, and they said they would publish the response this week. ( @AndyPR )

I very much hope they will join the other signatories just as they finally did with the letter about releasing the PACE data.

Better late than never and the tribunal commented that the ME charities unanimously wanted the data released.

Waiting .........with expectation........which may be a bit daft??

Jan, dangermouse, slysaint and 6 others like this.
  5. batteredoldbook

batteredoldbook Senior Member

M.E patients can stop MEGA any time they like. They simply have to move into opposition to the charities involved. Eg: I moved into opposition to the MEA after Dr Shepherd chose not to address my question (above).
    However, it will be very hard to challenge current medical misbehaviour while people with M.E refuse to address their own.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    BurnA likes this.
  6. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

>We vote 'no confidence' in MEGA research for M.E.

>A closer look at the MEGA petition reveals that key members and advisors of MEGA are involved in the discredited PACE trial, and the MAGENTA trial in children with ME/CFS which follows from the PACE trial, run by leaders of the bio-psycho-social (BPS) movement known collectively as 'The Wessely School'.

In addition
    • They are still not including serious ill ME patients (they might be included in the request for funding after next), and will only be determining their definition of PEM after they've secured funding. o_O
    • The Patient Advisory Group has been shown to be nothing but lip-service to the concept of including patient input.
    • The ME "expert" is still Esther Crawley, who now gives lectures on how to deal with "anti-science" patients, with this petition as a main piece of "evidence", and on how to deny data release.

https://www.change.org/p/opposing-mega-a-vote-of-no-confidence-in-mega-research-for-me-cfs

signatures

Cornishbird, Jo Best, MEMum and 3 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Senior Member

That, plus explain and apologise for their role – witting, willing, or otherwise – in providing the sole piece of cover for PACE to dump actometers as an outcome measure, after PACE had purchased the actometer units, and collected the baseline data.

This was one of the most critical and disturbing failures in the way PACE was conducted. There is no conceivable reason for dropping that objective outcome measure.

Over to you, AfME...

Jan, Binkie4, Cornishbird and 3 others like this.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Still waiting...

Binkie4 and Valentijn like this.
  9. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Trial By Error, Continued: An Open Letter to the Board of the CFS/ME Research Collaborative
    8 MAY 2017
    by David Tuller, DrPH
    http://www.virology.ws/2017/05/08/t...he-board-of-the-cfsme-research-collaborative/

Robert 1973, Jan, Cornishbird and 5 others like this.
  10. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Cornishbird likes this.
  11. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Well, I guess you could report Jo's post to the admins to ask them to do it or you could create it? Jo has obviously posted it in here as it relates to the petition itself.

MEMum and Barry53 like this.
  12. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member

@Esther12

I have just posted another request on the AfME visitor fb board asking for the Board's response re the letter to Psych Medicine.

Have pointed out that it is a matter not just for them but the whole ME community that we stand together, and reminding them that the Tribunal pointed out that all the ME charities had acted together in requesting the Pace data which makes it a point of considerable significance.

Any ideas on why the hold up?

EDIT -in case anyone wants to read the comment, it's posted as a comment under 'Lyn gillan'. I fact there seems no more room for people to post as a visitor because there have been so many posts already.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    ukxmrv, AndyPR, Jan and 1 other person like this.
  13. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

14. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Hi all and thanks @Barry53 and @AndyPR yes, I was just selecting the quote about the petition for the benefit of / relevance to this thread and thanks @slysaint for the links to the thread/s about the blog. :thumbsup:

MEMum, slysaint, AndyPR and 1 other person like this.
  15. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Stephen Holgate revealing his true colours, albeit inadvertently. This shows that there is no chance of removing Crawley from MEGA while the same old faces are involved.

http://www.virology.ws/2017/05/10/trial-by-error-continued-cmrc-to-virology-blog-fk-off/
    Click the link to sign the Opposing MEGA petition - https://www.change.org/p/opposing-mega-a-vote-of-no-confidence-in-mega-research-for-me-cfs
    3,201 signatures

Jan, Barry53, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  16. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Binkie4, Yogi and AndyPR like this.
  17. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

CripTheVoteUK also promoting OMEGA.

Another bunch of vexatious, mental-health stigmatising, anti-disability people fighting against our beloved Saint Stephen Holgate and Sister Esther Crawley.

http://cripthevote.blogspot.com

Cornishbird, Jo Best, Binkie4 and 6 others like this.
  18. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

>We vote 'no confidence' in MEGA research for M.E.

>A closer look at the MEGA petition reveals that key members and advisors of MEGA are involved in the discredited PACE trial, and the MAGENTA trial in children with ME/CFS which follows from the PACE trial, run by leaders of the bio-psycho-social (BPS) movement known collectively as 'The Wessely School'.

In addition
    • They are still not including serious ill ME patients (they might be included in the request for funding after next), and will only be determining their definition of PEM after they've secured funding. o_O
    • The Patient Advisory Group has been shown to be nothing but lip-service to the concept of including patient input.
    • The ME "expert" is still Esther Crawley, who now gives lectures on how to deal with "anti-science" patients, with this petition as a main piece of "evidence", and on how to deny data release.

https://www.change.org/p/opposing-mega-a-vote-of-no-confidence-in-mega-research-for-me-cfs

signatures

19. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

20. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member

@Jo Best @AndyPR

Have just posted on AfME 's fb page a question re this and the letter to Psych Medicine.
    I think it is important that individuals make known their views to charities.

Jan, Jo Best, dangermouse and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.