• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Peter White (PACE) in the Guardian

Pardon my ignorance; I had to look this up and in doing so thought I found the perfect definition for PW but then realised it was for 'hubris'
'Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence, accomplishments or capabilities'

Quite. :)

In the ancient Greek religion, Nemesis (/ˈnɛməsɪs/; Greek: Νέμεσις), also called Rhamnousia/Rhamnusia ("the goddess of Rhamnous") was the goddess who enacted retribution against those who succumb to hubris (arrogance before the gods). Another name was Adrasteia/Adrestia, meaning "the inescapable". (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_(mythology) )

There was the old proverb; 'Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, first they make mad'