New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Peter White on Graded Exercise Therapy (possibly not of general interest)

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Dolphin, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

[Not that exciting]

I just read a copy of:

White Peter. How exercise can help chronic fatigue syndrome.
    Pulse: 86-87, June 20, 1998
    ------
    -------
    Contrast that with this paper:
    KY Fulcher and PD White, 'Chronic fatigue syndrome: A description of graded exercise treatment', Physiotherapy 84 (1998), pp. 223-226. (this is a May edition)

--------

So in two articles published a month apart, a slightly different description is given: "stay at their current level of exercise for a further week or two" vs "they should be advised to remain at the same level for an extra week".

Suggesting patients stay at it for 2 weeks is a bit easier to criticise.

-----------

He also says in the article:
    These days, he tends to bash surveys and say that the GET wasn't generally done by a properly trained expert and so wasn't GET and so the adverse effects aren't of much relevance. But he himself was encouraging such people to offer the treatment.

2. V99

V99

UK
    So he trains these 'experts' to try different approaches, that's very reassuring. What a sensible fellow he is. Who knew he didn't have a treatment devised? Who knew he created a treatment without any scientific evidence? Come on, show of hands?

See more popular forum discussions.