1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Peter White/Barts - comments on draft NICE guidelines - insight into their views

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Dolphin, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I think this post may have led to this March 9 blog post:
    Sean likes this.
  2. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    Frankly,

A movie about our systematic abuse at the hands of 'medicine' is exactly what we need. The group organising this would make a fine plot for a bond movie in which they got their 'just desserts'.

This does seem very much like the stuff of a Tom Hanks movie, in which the harm done to an amiable character by GET is highlighted.

I have been thinking for some time that we need a different kinda of media involvement in which our story is told in a direct and personal way.

Great idea, now we just need a movie mogul with CFS/ME to make it happen.

Leo.
  3. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    I have just noticed this amongst PW's list of "somatoform disorders" on Dolphin's post.

Premenstrual syndrome.:jaw-drop:

Silly wummen again, you know.
    Nothing at all to do with raging, real, physical, molecular, organic hormones.:rolleyes:
    PennyIA, Cheshire and Min like this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    There has been a move to classify at least some PMS as psychiatric since I think DSM-III.

These people play with words. Its semantic sophistry. Based on functional disease not having obvious structural change, it follows that PMS must be functional. Yet at that point the slight of hand is done: if its functional, it must be psychiatric. The only evidence of functional disorders I have ever seen is biochemical. Many genetic diseases are functional by this definition, so are many diseases considered to be physical.

Here is another kicker though: changes in physical structure at the molecular level do not, somehow, count as structural changes. The only thing that counts is gross structural change, like a blocked artery or something.

Biochemical changes must not be real. Gross physical changes (eg. vasodilation) do not count, they are not structural changes. This is semantic sophistry, extreme denial of the physical.

As more and more "psychiatric" disorders are shown to be due to other factors including pathogens and auto-immmune disease, where can they retreat to? To the nebulous and mythical, because nobody can prove that snarks and boojums do not exist.
    Leopardtail, Sidereal and peggy-sue like this.
  5. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    I've been diagnosed with a "functional" one leg a lot shorter than the other. :p
    There is a difference in my height from 5' to 5'2", depending on which leg I stand on.
    (as measured by a nurse a fortnight ago)

However, the chap at the biomechanical clinic laid me down on a couch and measured my legs, and said they were the same.

I did explain that I had sciatica (which was why I was in the clinic) and that I felt the problem was actually in my hips or lower back, I went through the change some time ago, my bones could be crumbling a bit.

No investigations into my hips or lower back, no scans no x-rays.

I just have a "functionally" short leg. :mad:
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Peter White even has a profile page on the .gov.uk site:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/people/peter-white

His role isn't mentioned but it includes:
    It/he talks about his CFS work.
    Valentijn likes this.
  7. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    :vomit:
    Leopardtail and Kati like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Maybe this has been mentioned somewhere before but Peter White has been involved in the creation of Dept of Work and Pensions (DWP) guidance for disability assessments (in the UK).

See:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ...D S2 CMEP 0017 Mod 6 Chronic Fatigue.pdf.html
    or
    here:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ.../2/MED S2 CMEP 0017 Mod 6 Chronic Fatigue.pdf
    Background information is available here:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/training_briefing_and_knowledge#incoming-289774

---
    The recent update doesn't have their names on it, although it has been suggested to me that doesn't mean they were not involved with it (I haven't been following it too closely).
    Leopardtail, Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  9. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

Have they ever seen a patient in real life?

i think this happens when a bunch of incompetent and clueless people fools sit at their desks fantasizing about illnesses instead of listening to patients in real life.

But no it must be the evil "gluten free" foods and the meth addiction that are causing the CFS.

One might add here: the name functional disorder is increasingly used within medicine because it implies a pathology for which there is no evidence needed.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    Min and Sidereal like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Senior Member

:D
    Min likes this.
  11. Leopardtail

England
    Given that three of the references are by Wessley, and all but one are completely Psychological - it's not hard to work out who wrote this is it? The "Fatigue being of central origin" also kinda jumps out.

There is no wonder we are treat so badly by the DWP.
    Valentijn likes this.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

From an article by Peter White http://www.eastlondon.nhs.uk/Resear...ewsletters---docs/RDNewsletter,Summer2011.pdf (thanks to @Maxwhd on Twitter alerting me to this)

Note that the Barts CFS service led by Peter White generally won't provide letters to support their patients applications for benefits. Also, I've heard services linked to the Barts service e.g. in Essex, similarly don't provide such letter, citing advice/direction from the Barts service.

I'm not aware that this policy has changed despite the fact that the 5-million pound trial he led, which was partly funded by the Dept. of Work and Pensions, found neither CBT or GET led to decreased numbers receiving benefits (in fact the numbers, like with APT and no individual therapy, increased).
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    Min and Valentijn like this.
  13. Leopardtail

England
    Just wondering here whether they are breaking Human right law there.... and whether anything could be done about them.....
    Min, Dolphin and Valentijn like this.
  14. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Not unless we can find a lawyer interested in this. I did a sweep of "human rights" lawyers a few years ago and there was no interest.

After the NICE Guidelines Judicial Review I'd be very careful taking legal actions. Also that experience may have turned a lot of lawyers off sadly.
  15. Leopardtail

England
    I am not in the area, so couldn't do it. In this case the challenge would not be the medicine but discrimination by imhibting access to disabled benefits.

The NICE challenge fell down primarily on a technicality, the two people who mounted it 'entrapped' a person from NICE and thereby messed their case up. The issue as you say would be finding a lawyer though, most of them are terrified of taking on ME cases.

See more popular forum discussions.