1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Peter White/Barts - comments on draft NICE guidelines - insight into their views

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Dolphin, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    Thanks Tom. I think I have consistently said that I didn't see any significant difference of opinion between us, and that all such things are relatively minor compared to the scale of what we have in common - what we have faced and what we may face next. I'm here to learn from others, so it's all good. The other threads you mention (The Psychiatric view of ME/CFS. What is it? and Peter White/Barts - comments on draft NICE guidelines - insight into their views) are indeed superb, packed with useful information I'm mining.
  2. Tammie

Tammie Senior Member

Woodridge, IL
    The Wessely, White, Barts view of treating MCS is comparable to trying to treat a diabetic by increasing their sugar intake
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

We've seen their view on MCS.

It looks like light sensitivity is another thing that has been caused by a lack of exposure!

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

As I recall, Maurice Murphy used not to be that bad when Pinching was in Barts.

Now, he just seems to go along with Peter White:

Letter published in The Times (UK) (Sept 2008)

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

6. Koan

Koan Be the change.

Just a gentle reminder to any who feel that they needn't be too concerned because he is on the other side of the pond, Dr White is given a rousing endorsement by the CAA.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

You could have a look at the thread at: http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/showth...ors-on-CFS-organised-by-CBT-School-of-Thought where some insightful observations were made.
  8. helsbells

helsbells Senior Member

UK
    I am, as always, so grateful that people take the time to post as I attend Barts already and was thinking of asking for a referal to Dr Maurice Murphy as I noticed he was an immunologist rather than psychologist. It seems I will save my time and not open myself up to further abuse by the establishment!!
  9. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

As many people will know with Amazon, people can say whether they found Justin's reviews helpful or not. :Retro smile:
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Peter White on video

(I just posted a similar post to this on another thread but thought people who have followed this thread might find it of interest)

If anyone is interested, one can see Peter White.
    http://www.rsm.ac.uk/academ/video.php
    under Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 28th April 2008.

I've attached the slides to go with the talk.

Attached Files:

12. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

Some of us do! If it wasn,t for psychologists the workings of the mind would still be largely unknown . We would still not understand how a mind is formed without that understanding re causation these so called psychiatric problems cannot be resolved.There is a lot of rubbish in psychology mostly as a result of sociological infiltration but the work of Shore, Segal Stern and Bowlby put the study of mental health firmly in the field of scientific endevour--The days of Psychiatrists are numbered if they dont adapt
    Nice to here from you neurocognitive psychologists inhabit a different planet to the psychoS
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Bowel symptoms

Peter White/Barts Chronic Fatigue Service claimed the following
    However a series of papers on patients who had Giardia shows that patients can have bowel symptoms as part of post-infectious fatigue syndromes (you only really need to read the first one):

Here are the exact figures*

*I don't have the full paper but it was mentioned in http://www.biomedcentral.com/imedia/2188514913091934_comment.pdf in Pre-publication history http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2334/9/206/prepub
    of "Severity of Giardia infection associated with post-infectious fatigue and abdominal symptoms two years after"Kristine Mrch , Kurt Hanevik , Guri Rortveit , Knut-Arne Wensaas , Geir
    Egil Eide , Trygve Hausken and Nina Langeland BMC Infectious Diseases 2009, 9:206doi:10.1186/1471-2334-9-206

14. jaariel

jaariel

Lufkin, TX
    It's Just like I've been telling my husband for years: we're branded "The Lazy Crazies" by the medical profession!
  15. jaariel

jaariel

Lufkin, TX
    Shakespeare
  16. jaariel

jaariel

Lufkin, TX
    what century are we living in? The middle ages? This a a travesty of unparallelled proportions!!!
  17. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    The above would be fine, if only it were actually true. I find it strange that they recommend such therapies, despite pointing out that "however, few patients regard themselves as cured after treatment".

Maybe that is because it doesn't work!?!
  18. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    Hi Mark,

If you haven't already seen it, I think Prof Malcolm Hooper's talk on the physiological background of CFS and his views on the psychologist's lobby are really good for family and friends (if a bit long):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UpLuXFXJCc

Cheers,

Mark
  19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

20. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
    The problem is, they're not! We are still stuck with psychiatrists dragging ME/CFS into their 'psychogenic' framework.

I have to ask you, Enid: do you understand that Dolphin and others are NOT supporting psychiatric explanations of ME/CFS, we are OPPOSING them?

See more popular forum discussions.