• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Peter Tatchell: stigmatisation of ME/CFS #PACEtrial campaigners similar to what he faced

Mrs Sowester

That video got me thinking, do we have any grounds to make a citizens arrest on our PACE trial authors ?
@richio76 might you know something about this? (Don't know where you are based or what field you practice in, sorry if I'm out of line tagging you into this one).

chipmunk1

A psychiatrist, Dr. Fink, writing in the Journal of ECT (June 2014) had this to say of patient complaints;

“Complaints of persistent memory loss in otherwise well-functioning individuals after recovery from a psychiatric illness through ECT are best viewed as a conversion reaction or a somatoform disorder.”

I am not sure if people realise that Fink is citing Wesseley research as evidence that such somatisation disorders exist.

http://www.rheumatologynetwork.com/articles/camelford-hysteria-lesson-ect/page/0/1

He is referring to Wesseley's publication regarding the Camelford accident. Another possible huge biospychosocial scandal that was never made public.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oning-evidence-dirty-water-KILLED-people.html

Basically he says that ECT memory loss is somatoform because Wesseley said Aluminum poisoning symptoms in Camelford were all in the mind. Circular reasoning at it's best.

Fink is old enough to have used Insulin Coma on patients when it was still popular. Fatality rate 5%.

If you were working in a psychiatric institution back then you would definitely kill a lot of patients using pseudoscientific crap. Some people never learn it seems. Quacks, Fraudsters or worse.

Last edited:

slysaint

I doubt it; it's not a crime to change your protocol to make things look better, just bad behaviour. But it made me smile.
But I wonder if the participants whose condition was made worse have any recourse?
edited.

Last edited: