• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Peter Tatchell: stigmatisation of ME/CFS #PACEtrial campaigners similar to what he faced

A.B.

It's actually going to end in my lifetime isn't it? (38 soon, so not setting my sights too high)

It will be over soon. They will appeal and lose. The data will be published, and PACE will be torn to shreds.

I hope that then, public awareness will increase, more critics will find the courage to speak out, and the CBT/GET empire will be questioned. Developments in the US and biomedical science will further increase pressure on politicians and they will eventually have to stop supporting CBT/GET. PACE authors will be isolated and go down in history as frauds. Mass lawsuits for GET inflicted harm are not out of the question.

In twenty years, people will laugh about the bizarre idea of ME/CFS being a disorder of beliefs and behaviour.

PS: in fact, the smart thing to do after PACE is torn to shreds, would be to contrast biomedical perspective and findings (bolstered by developments in the US) with the BPS perspective and junk science. It makes for an interesting story. We just need some good writers. Maybe someone will write a book.

worldbackwards

It will be over soon. They will appeal and lose. The data will be published, and PACE will be torn to shreds.

I hope that then, public awareness will increase, more critics will find the courage to speak out, and the CBT/GET empire will be questioned. Developments in the US and biomedical science will further increase pressure on politicians and they will eventually have to stop supporting CBT/GET. PACE authors will be isolated and go down in history as frauds. Mass lawsuits for GET inflicted harm are not out of the question.
Yeah. Show me the writs and I'll believe it. ;)

worldbackwards

I don't know what angle they covered in that one, but I would be hopeful if they covered the BPS angle of deceit and fraud and profiteering at the expense of ME patients it might do something ?
No. It would come down to an argument about science, with lots of big names prepared to stand behind them. Wait till we see the data is what I think. Then maybe.

Last edited:

Esther12

Didn't @charles shepherd say that the BBC was doing a documentary now? My assumption is that it's a SMC style propoganda piece for Wessely & co, but it could be that will change as the consensus on PACE shifts. They might even have got some good footage of the PACE lot being over-confident and screwing themselves over.

No. It would come down to an argument about science, with lots of big names prepared to stand behind them. Wait till we se the data is what I think. Then maybe

I'm not sure how many big names would be willing to stand behind them anymore.

BurnA

Didn't @charles shepherd say that the BBC was doing a documentary now? My assumption is that it's a SMC style propoganda piece for Wessely & co, but it could be that will change as the consensus on PACE shifts....

That is why it is important to write to them - Now.
Panoramas email is panorama.reply@bbc.co.uk
They are also on twitter @BBCPanorama and facebook.

Its as easy as writing a post on PR so please, everybody should consider it.

Yogi

@Esther12 Is this a dream???

I have been dreaming for years of a day like this. The PACE trial's investigators arrogance and obstructiveness over the data and taking it to tribunal has paid off big style for us. One part of me wants them to continue to be obstructive and difficult with the PACE trial data as it just brings more 'n more attention to this scandal.

BurnA

One part of me wants them to continue to be obstructive and difficult with the PACE trial data as it just brings more 'n more attention to this scandal.

I think its important to remember the big picture.
We want to get better and that can only be achieved through good biomedical research.
PACE is a distraction that we need to eliminate, the sooner we do so the better.
The energy we spend fighting PACE would be much better spent fighting for more funding for biomedical research.

It will be enjoyable to witness these peoples downfall for sure, but ultimately we need a lot more than that.
PACE is only round 1 of the fight, the sooner its over the better for all.

Sean

I think its important to remember the big picture.
We want to get better and that can only be achieved through good biomedical research.
PACE is a distraction that we need to eliminate, the sooner we do so the better.
The energy we spend fighting PACE would be much better spent fighting for more funding for biomedical research.

It will be enjoyable to witness these peoples downfall for sure, but ultimately we need a lot more than that.
PACE is only round 1 of the fight, the sooner its over the better for all.
Very important comment.

The real aim here is not vengeance, it is removing the barriers to progress. Once the PACE/BPS idiocy is neutralised, leave it behind and move on.

Last edited: