The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Peter Kemp: The SMC and the PACE Trial - a deceptive partnership - Spinning the Results to the Media

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by CFS_for_19_years, Sep 24, 2016.

1. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    https://peterkempblog.wordpress.com...re-and-the-pace-trial-a-deceptive-partnership
    Peter Kemp shows UK press articles that glorified the exaggerated results of the PACE trial.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    slysaint, Webdog, OhShoot and 26 others like this.
  2. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

I begin to think that we should always refer to, and encourage others always to refer to, the "SMC" as being the "SMC (whose largest funder is the Wellcome Trust)".

Only fair to give due prominence to such facts.

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks. I bet this is good... I feel like I'm struggling to keep up with all the PACE stuff coming out right now though. Bookmarked!

4. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

UK
    Another thing for us to work on. Sigh!!!

How do we get the Wellcome trust, which is supposed to be supporting excellent science and medicine and has very distinguished trustees, to realise that they are funding a powerful and highly biased and politicised body like the SMC?

Is this another task for the ME organisations like the MEA or ME Action? I hate to ask, they're overwhelmed with stuff to do already. But I don't think letters from individual ME sufferers will cut it.

Any doctors or professors reading this willing to take it on?

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

6. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    Didn't see many (any?) of these papers publishing on the tribunal result or the null reanalysis. Funny that :meh:

7. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

I read an opinion piece in yesterday's online Independent. Typically for me I can no longer find it.

A propos of something completely different it claimed that the standard crisis management technique used by PR firms was first to issue a statement saying there's nothing new in this, nothing to see here, time to move along. When the story continues, after a while a statement is issued saying this is an old story, it has already been dealt with (I paraphrase).

We seem to have had the first part of the strategy. Perhaps a nominal prize could be offered for the first sighting of the second.

Snowdrop, soti, mango and 10 others like this.
  8. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I claim my prize!

From here:

https://www.statnews.com/2016/09/21/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-pace-trial/comment-page-6/#comments

In particular

and

Looks like he's shot off both barrels at once. I wonder what he's going to do next?

And what's my prize?

mango, Artstu, worldbackwards and 7 others like this.
  9. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

UK
    Our very own gentleman Sam
    has spotted that Wessleyan sham :alien:
    in his pomp, damn his eyes.
    So here's your prize -
    an imaginary do-nut with jam.

(the best treatment for an imaginary illness :meh: )

Jan, slysaint, Webdog and 7 others like this.
  10. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

I cannot hope to compete with the prize already proffered!

You are right @TiredSam Things must be desperate. I thought the idea was to allow a reasonable period of time to pass before moving on to the second part of the plan.

If we could anticipate the "what next?" it would be extremely difficult for them to use it without opening themselves to further ridicule. My guess is that the formal announcement of a retirement will soon be spun to some effect.

11. TiredSam

Germany
    As I commented on the Rehmeyer thread, that post by Wessley was a most gratifying demonstration of complete desperation. He was hammering away at his keyboard so frantically that he didn't have time for paragraphs, checking his spelling ("chnaged"), and made a number of unforced errors which were then taken to pieces brilliantly by subsequent commenters. He threw everything he had into it, and it wasn't much.

Finishing with a dismissive "Back to day job" was typical psychocrap, it looks like a throwaway remark but he planned it to imply how trivial this matter is and made sure it was the last thing we read, leaving an indelible impression on our subconscious minds. Oh he must have thought that was so clever. Pity is that the rest of his post was completely lacking in substance and easily shredded by subsequent posters. Pass the popcorn somebody ...

BurnA, Sidereal, Webdog and 10 others like this.
  12. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    I don't think I've ever seen Wessely genuinely rattled before ( also elsewhere in conversation with @JohntheJack). The empire really might be starting to crumble.

JohntheJack, BurnA, Sidereal and 6 others like this.
  13. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  14. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Just about to find that!
    Witness the persecuted tone. Good.

JohntheJack, Solstice, Chrisb and 2 others like this.
  15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

His own distorted self-image is starting to butt up against reality, and he doesn't seem to be enjoying it.

16. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Wessely knows how to present himself well, but he avoids real debate.

JohntheJack and Solstice like this.
  17. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

He's really starting to crumble. That was a pathetic display of desperation in Julie's comment section. He had no factual rebuttals to any of the points raised. "I'm too busy for you activist plebs and have to get back to my important work/vacation" and "they engaged in outcome switching cuz, erm, you know, previous studies used the same criteria" are not satisfactory answers to any of the severe problems with PACE.

18. TiredSam

Germany
    I thought he was getting back to his day job, now he's off on holiday. If he must end every post with a dismissive comment that shows how trivial he thinks this all is, he could at least be consistent.

Solstice, BurnA, mango and 3 others like this.
  19. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

Perhaps we should politely ask him whom he would consider to be the right people, what the right cause and which the right target. And why.

I am sure a whistleblower should be entitled to a degree of protection.

Solstice and worldbackwards like this.
  20. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

It is getting rather difficult to avoid concluding that there is an issue of distorted perception when Wessely defends the change to the recovery criteria with these words:

Yes Simon, the physical functioning of an 80 year old fits the mental image of recovery of most people.

See more popular forum discussions.