Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Personal Genetics

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Chocolove, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Chocolove

Chocolove Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again

On obtaining raw personal genetic data and associating it with research databases for personal use.

I obtained my raw genetic data from 23andme.com which only requires a saliva sample submission and currently costs about $200. You can visit their site to see more details. Interactive examples of the product are provided for practice in how to use it. http://23andme.com/

(The company also uses your saliva for anonymous genetic research purposes.) Upon receiving my results by email, which usually requires about a two month wait, I downloaded my raw data from 23andme report. Now I have it saved to use for the rest of my life since one's genes don't change.

This transaction is just between you and that company and protecting your privacy is paramount. Your genetic privacy is very important considering the fact that insurance companies have, as a common business practice, refused to insure people with prior known disease conditions. This is why the transaction remains strictly between you and the company and involves no doctors or insurance.

Next, I uploaded my raw genetic data to Promethease which pulls relevant information from a research database revealing that which is associated with your particular genes. That cost was only $5 and results were available in 15 minutes.

Promethease provides you with this information in a variety of formats which you can toggle between, and including a summation through a variety of parameters or filters, including relative magnitude of importance, the good, the bad, and by particular issue... all of which is quite searchable. One interesting feature is that one may better discover which drugs may be helpful (or harmful) to your particular genetic combo. That can certainly help one avoid some nasty and potential deadly experiences.

I found their interactive reports to be quite helpful in analyzing the voluminous data.
    Sample products are available for review at the site: http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Promethease
    Their database is continually updated as research progresses.

There are other companies in the genetics business that utilize different databases and selection/utilization parameters. I have no affiliation with either of the two companies I have mentioned.

Genetic data research is in it's infancy, and as genes are rather like switches that can be turned on or off by the body - (check into the study of epigenetics as well), results are largely interpretive.

One should consider that they may discover their genes indicate potential for very serious diseases. Perhaps they'd rather not know that....and choose to struggle in the blind. However report results should never indicate futility since much is modifiable in health through diet, etc. Results should never be a reason to despair.

I decided that I would like know my genetics so that I can figure out work-arounds to my problems and give myself the chance to enjoy the best possible life and perhaps become even better than "normal." The report did reveal some conditions commonly found in my familial history to be genetically pertinent to myself.

I'm very glad I ran my genetics as I thus discovered I was suffering mightily from vitamin A deficiency, something I never would have guessed because I had long been taking vitamin supplements that "contain vitamin A "- but as noted in the fine print of the product label, this is frequently only carotene..... and carotene actually converts extremely poorly to vitamin A, if at all, with very serious health consequences.

I have now learned to eat liver and onions :p and it makes me feel great. Onions and salsa make it more palatable.

@Alvin2 I hope this adequately answers your question. Since it was off topic for the thread where it was voiced I started this new thread to answer your request.

2. Neunistiva

Neunistiva Senior Member

Chocolove and Diwi9 like this.
  3. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    @Chocolove - I don't know how you prepare liver, but soaking it in milk for 1-2 hours is supposed to take the bitter out of it. Hope dairy isn't a problem for you :)

Paralee and Chocolove like this.
  4. Chocolove

Chocolove Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again

@Diwi9 :angel: How very thoughtful of you. I wonder what chemistry causes that effect.

Diwi9 likes this.
  5. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    Liver is a lot more palatable if you don't overcook it..........then maybe smother it in chocolate or butterscotch....:thumbsup:.

Chocolove likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.