Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Persistent Physical Symptoms Reduction INtervention: a System Change & Evaluation (PRINCE Primary)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, May 14, 2016.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Via @Maxwhd on twitter.

Many of these names are familiar from the CFS world

CiVbbNhWkAAsID7.jpg large.jpg

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

CiVbJ0wWgAAiOIR.jpg

actup, Comet, Valentijn and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

5. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Yeah, they are trying too hard with the whole cutesy acronym thing. The "IN" to enable PRINCE is simply a miserable fail.

Actually, it's an Orwellian stretch regardless. They are just cherry-picking letters, for God's sake.

Not so surprising when you think of it.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    actup, meandthecat, Justin30 and 3 others like this.
  6. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Why two trials? To make it easier to switch outcomes or change definitions in the second study?

actup, Comet, Justin30 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Denise

Denise Senior Member

The exclusion criteria for the PRINCE Secondary study lists factitious disorder so I guess none of us here can take part.

8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
  9. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I think as usual CBT will miraculously work, regardless of the type of problem (I'm still waiting for that trial of CBT for car engine problems). As long as the trial is designed so as to be unable to distinguish CBT brainwashing from genuine improvement.

One would think that the NHS would have some interest in properly designed trials so as to avoid being misled into spending money on ineffective interventions.

10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Indeed. Why no objective outcomes? Because they are afraid of null results.

actup, Hutan, Sean and 7 others like this.
  11. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

Did they choose PRINCE because its subservient to King's? Painful. If only they spent as much time worrying about patients as they do acronyms.

Is it harder to stop a gravy train than a supertanker and should all metaphors and similes be adjusted accordingly?

actup, MEMum, OhShoot and 5 others like this.
  12. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

By enrolling patients whose common characteristic is mainly having symptoms that are unexplained they make it difficult to come up with sensible measures of objective improvement. Measuring activity levels or cardiopulmonry fitness would probably work for a number of conditions but not others. Or at least that is one concern that immediately comes to mind.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    actup, GreyOwl, Sean and 7 others like this.
  13. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    [​IMG]

actup, halcyon, OhShoot and 5 others like this.
  14. Comet

Comet I'm Not Imaginary

Intervention
    Not
    Helpful
    Until
    Medicals
    Act
    Noble and
    Effective

actup, Izola, *GG* and 7 others like this.
  15. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Yep, will do. Don't call us.

actup, Mij, *GG* and 3 others like this.
  16. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    If one don't work out how they want it to, maybe they think they can rather then draw media spotlight to the other one instead and vanish the other. So maybe they see doing two trials as safer.

17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

As I pointed out to Dr undersen recently, this proposal has exactly the same approach to that of the 'Institute of Functional Medicine' and other alternative bandwagons that Dr Gundersen is so keen to debunk.

The basic message is 'We are going to treat symptoms that we know nothing about the causes of, and have not even bothered to think through what they might be, but pretend that we understand everything and can treat everything. We will set up a completely valueless trial to prove what we want to prove and anybody who disagrees is an irrational 'activist'.'

The honest thing to do when faced with unexplained symptoms is to tell the person that you do not know what the cause is so have no idea what to do. Unfortunately some medical professionals feel threatened by having to be so honest. One of them said so at the RSM meeting we had last year.

actup, adreno, MEMum and 24 others like this.
  18. meandthecat

meandthecat Senior Member

West country UK
    Ah PRINCE, the condition formerly known as........

19. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

Unfortunately, "the large majority" is IMO more appropriate than "some".
    That doesn't mean honest medical professionals do not exist, I have met some of them, but unfortunately again, these people don't speak up, and don't go openly against the MUS and psychosomatic model.

I don't blame them, I understand why they keep quiet. My GP is teaching at the university, and the fact that he's been honest with me makes him at odds with his colleagues and in an uncomfortable situation. Some doctors suggested that he was neglecting me because he was not engaging me to consider a psychotherapy.

20. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I have had this from two Drs, and I am sticking to them like glue.

I find this rebranding exercise by Wessely, Chalder & co, given what it known about the harm their corrupt ideology is causing, beyond obscene.

actup, MEMum, Little Bluestem and 5 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.