1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"persistent fatigue may be ... result of individual reaching or exceeding their lactate threshold"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I can't see the full text of this. But I happened to see this bit, which I thought was interesting to see explicitly written:

I'm not particularly excited by their interpretation i.e. just because there is higher lactate levels, doesn't mean it can easily be treated with exercise:

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    I think the lower threshold is associated with fatigue, but is not the cause of the sensation of fatigue. Nor will muscular conditioning improve the fatigue (though it may improve the lactate threshold).
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    A key point in ME, though needing more research even now, is that many of us have critical lowering of lactate threshold as a result of PEM/PENE. This is a hallmark of ME I suspect. So if we exercise too much, then we damage our lactate threshold, we dont increase it. This is why Pacific Fatigue Labs emphasizes anaerobic conditioning in ME/CFS. We need more exercise physiologists to grapple with this.

Lactate does not in itself cause major problems in the short term, though it can if prolonged (e.g. lactic acidosis which can be fatal). Its more a sign that there is a switch in metabolism, and many many factors occur in that switch.

Bye, Alex
    SOC and valdi like this.
  4. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    I recently met someone who told me she was now pretty much recovered from a fibromyalgia diagnosis. I asked her for some details, and what jumped out for me was that she had also had a diagnosed lactic acidosis problem, related to pain in one leg following an accident (I didn't get all the details on that so may have misunderstood that slightly perhaps). The leg problem was eventually dealt with, just before the remission of fibromyalgia symptoms (I can't recall how, I think she described something like physio which had 'unblocked' something in her hip). She didn't attribute her recovery from FM to the treatment of the problem with her leg (though that seemed quite likely to me and she admitted that explanation fitted well in terms of her time of onset and remission), but the take-home for me was that it seemed likely to me that lactic acidosis was the underlying cause of her fibro diagnosis. I guess that lactic acidosis can also be one of many downstream effects rather than an underlying cause as it seemed to be in this case, and many of the symptoms would be similar in both situations.
    Dolphin likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.