Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Persistent dandruff.

Discussion in 'Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth, and Nails' started by bananabas, Sep 16, 2015.

1. bananabas

bananabas Senior Member

I'm not sure this is ME-related, but it seems that when my symptoms flare up, so does my dandruff. And I'm talking big flakes, which pruduce itches bad enough to wake me up in the middle of the night scratching. Anyone else experience this? And what remedies did you guys find?

2. Doublepush

Doublepush

For me only thing that has helped is Vichy Dercos anti-dandruff shampoo. If I do not use it for a couple of days, my head start itching. For some reason no other brand has helped. I have been using it for a couple of years now.

3. bananabas

bananabas Senior Member

That seems to contain selenium disulfide as the active ingredient, can you confirm?

4. Doublepush

Doublepush

Yes, it contains selenium disulfide. That might be the ingredient that helps as other shampoos that I have tried have not contained it.

bananabas likes this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

It might be due to inflammation. The best thing that has helped for me is avoiding shampoos with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (or alternatives with Sodium ____ Sulfate) and other irritants. Anti-dandruff shampoos tend to be highly irritating, and are designed to penetrate the skin somewhat, which is also not helping.

I import Hugo's Naturals from the US, though there are some decent European shampoos as well. Shops specializing in organic/biologic foods and other items will usually have something that works.

Billt and bananabas like this.

See more popular forum discussions.