Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Perrin technique RCT on ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Sasha, May 13, 2011.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Recently published here.

Only the abstract is available to view without coughing up $31.

I wish he'd looked at the effects of lymphatic drainage alone as well. His technique consists of osteopathic manipulation (which I found terrifying when I had non-Perrin manipulation for a neck problem a while back) plus effleurage and other lymphatic drainage massage. I've seen people argue that lymphatic drainage alone is good for us - if the scarey stuff isn't necessary, it would be good to know.

2. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    has a full-text article explaining the rationale (but not the technique) here:
    http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/107/6/218

seems like a good fit for non-ME/CFS "CFS" and for FM "CFS"

("CFS" means people who meet criteria for CFS or CF, without having infectious onset or PEM)

3. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    I just read the other thread and it looks like some PWME find lymph drainage helpful for symptom management. Makes sense to me. :)

4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I had my first Perrin massage three weeks ago and although I felt fine when I left the premises, felt as though I had been run over by a steamroller within the hour and had to lie down. Whatever it did, it did something! Am continuing and although for now I feel worse, I hope that eventually I'll feel better...

5. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    it's hard to know whether you feel worse from getting out toxins, or because it's not right for you. drink lots of water! ask your therapist and, if you have one, your CFS doctor, about your reaction.

6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks, Willow! I'm drinking lots. I told my Perrin therapist and she didn't seem surprised. I only wish I had a CFS doctor!

See more popular forum discussions.