The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Peroxynitrite: Scavenging for Survival

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by nanonug, Apr 26, 2012.

1. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
  2. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    It looks to be very interesting, but I didn't have the slightest clue what it was trying to say.

3. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    Peroxynitrite: Scavenging for Survival <-- I'll summarise it despite not reading it. Less peroxnitrite == more wellness!

:angel:

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    There isn't a lot in this presentation. Its a brief theoretical discussion culminating in some properties that might be important in agents to fight ONOO or peroxynitrite. So there isn't much here of interest. Marty Pall is one of the people researching this, a recent book on acquired mitochondrial disorders discusses it, and I think Maes has done some research on it. All in all this presentation is only really useful for someone into the biochemistry with little use for patients.

Having said that I did learn a couple of things, like peroxynitrite has a half-life of about one second, which means every second half of it is gone. However we keep making more. It disappears because, in most cases, it destroys something. Its a very dangerous molecule.

Another interesting point is a class of enzymes called porphyrins has a high capacity to elimate peroxynitrite.

Bye, Alex

See more popular forum discussions.