1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Fable known as The PACE Trial
Graham, Janelle and Bob, have once again excelled themselves with their latest take on the 'poisoned apple' that was the PACE Trial...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Peripheral Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Peripheral Neuropathy' started by Nielk, Aug 14, 2012.

1. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    If herpes viruses are commonly implicated in cfs/me, then these viruses love to hang around nerves and cause problems especially if reactivating etc etc

Autopsies of people with ME have shown that there is alot of lessions on the nerves consistant with shingles type infections.

Many of us get diagnosed with restless leg syndrome but i think mostly its a type of neuropathy and many of us get a similar type of pain in our backs and necks that sound alot like nerve pain.

Sorry about your new diagnoses neilk, maybe this could explain some other symptoms. I wonder if the tumor has something to do with ME, many wouldnt have had head scans, i wonder if it would be a relatively common finding in cfs/me. I hope things get better for you sooner.

cheers!!!
  2. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
  3. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Nielk, I just saw your post. So sorry to hear about this new finding.

I'm sending you many :hug: HUGS :hug: and hope you're doing okay.

Marjorie
    Nielk likes this.
  4. TCP36

TCP36 I'm not giving up, despite the setbacks and BS!

UK
    Hi. Yes I have neuropathy. I had Glandular Fever in 1984 and developed Peripheral and Autonomic Neuropathy in 2007. I have extensive inflammation and damage from toes to throat and it's affected my internal organs, including heart and liver. Doctors blank me because I don't have diabetes and no one seems to know anything about it. All I have learnt has been off the internet and from Dr John Hayes who treats people with neuropathy. He has advised on tips and diet etc.
  5. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Nielk I just read this thread. Sorry to hear about the tumor. How is that situation now?

Regarding the main topic, Bartonella can cause this, and especially likes the legs and feet. Because Bartonella affects small vessel blood flow and they feed nerves it can cause issues. I don't have more info than that but I heard it on a recent online radio interview with two of the top Bart doctors
  6. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY

I really think I should be checked for Bartenolla. It's next on my list.

As far as my tumor snowathlete, (thanks for asking) I had radiation treatment done six months ago. I will have to get an MRI done though again in six months to make sure that it was successful.
    snowathlete likes this.
  7. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    I hope it's all gone and problem solved! Sounds like you caught it relatively early perhaps.
    Nielk likes this.
  8. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
  9. soxfan

soxfan Senior Member

North Carolina
    I had Bartonella which caused the nerve pain and twitching in my calf and foot. Since I went undiagnosed for over 2 years even with treatment I have permanent damage. I will always have the pain and twitching to some degree. Some days not as bad as others....
    It was my first symptom back in 2004 and the doctors had no clue what the problem was. I had all kinds of tests including EMG...etc. They gave me Neurontin and told me there was nothing else they could do..
  10. Shell

Shell Senior Member

England
    Don't know if it's the heat, or what, but the PN at the ends of all my fingers is spreading, especially in my right hand down the front of my fingers to the the first knuckle.
    Anyone got any ideas if this is stoppable?
  11. southernwonder

southernwonder

Arkansas, USA
    I have peripheral neuropathy in both feet which started this year after an incidence of swelling. I didn't know it could be related to CFS. I take gabapentin for it and it works nicely. What could I be taking to repair the nerves, as the gabapentin makes me groggy?
  12. Shell

Shell Senior Member

England
    My PN is slowly spreading. Don't know why. It was just the ends of my fingers but it's spreading downwards.
    Great for getting the toast out for the kids, not so great for handling stick insects and silk worms.

Also does anyone have a weird grip? If I hold a cup with my hand over the rim kinda claw grip I frequently find I can't let go. Someone has to prize a finger off then the others will follow.
  13. wanttorecover

wanttorecover

New Zealand
    What treatments are available? I have had a neuropathy that has been constant for over two years now and would lover for it to go away.

I am going to ask my GP for Vitamin B 12 injection next time I see him as my diet is very poor maybe that will help.
  14. physicsstudent13

physicsstudent13 Senior Member

I don't know if it's worth buying methyl b12 for nerve damage. I think I'm going to stop the methylfolate after I run out
  15. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
  16. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    There is a new drug out for neuropathy and Fibro called Savella, but it cause anxiety in a lot of patients taking it. It is considered a SNRI, but it's affinity for norepinephrine is 30:1 over serotonin, whereas Cymbalta is only 3:1.
  17. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Swelling and PN go together, as the nerves involved in PN often help regulate blood flow.
  18. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    For the last several years one hand very occasionally lockup in a tetanus like response, and will not release without manual force. I have considered it might be an early stage of rheumatoid arthritis, but I am very unsure about that.
  19. physicsstudent13

physicsstudent13 Senior Member

is EDTA going to help peripheral nerves? I started 1 teaspoon a day from pure bulk powder and am concerned it may damage the kidneys

See more popular forum discussions.