• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

performance of life experiences of people with ME/CFS

RivkaRivka

UPDATE: NO MORE STORIES NEEDED AT THIS TIME. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME YR STORIES NOW. WE ARE ALL SET! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED

Dramatic performance of life experiences of people with ME/CFS

We are ready with the I REPRESENT performance project (where actors enact the lives and experiences of people with ME/CFS) to start collecting stories from patients about their lives with ME/CFS. We'd turn these stories into monologues to be dramatically read by actors in or outside government buildings, health centers and on the street/sidewalk where there is a lot of foot traffic. Press will be invited.

WHO CAN DO THIS AND WHERE?
Any local theater director or group of actors anywhere are invited to use these monologues. I REPRESENT: INVISIBLE NO MORE will have its first public performance, its debut, in Missouri on July 14 and 15, 2011, at one or two health centers and the Missouri State campus. We have a professional director involved and 4 actors. Details pending.

COLLECTING THE STORIES
We are looking for a 5-10 ME/CFS patients who will give us their stories for these performances, and allow us to make public their name, age, gender, race/ethnicity/culture, number of years sick, location (USA only, for now). Note: Even if we collect your story that does not guarantee it will be included in the play or the performance. And in the end, we may not end up using all the stories we collect. And also we may not use people's names, but we only want your story at this time if you ARE willing to use your name.

Right now, these are the stories I'm considering. If any of these experiences fit your life, and you are willing to tell us your story, let me know:

We'll likely want a range of stories. Here are some ideas:

1. The shock of first getting sick.
2. Life after 10-20 yrs of being homebound or bedridden.
3. Going to a disbelieving doctor.
4. Trying a new treatment and it does not work (raised and dashed hopes).
5. Feeling abandoned by the gov't, medical community.
6. Finding out you are XMRV+, wanting antiretrovirals, but no local doctor will give them to you.
7. We need a young person's story, maybe about wanting to go to school or be social, but can't due to the illness.

Each story will be perhaps 5-7 minutes long, and must contain a dramatic moment or conflict of some kind (internal conflict okay, too) and dialogue. We'll likely have to collect yr story via phone interview unless you are a writer.

If you are interested, please send me an email with:

Name:
Race/ethnicity/culture:
Years sick:
Geographic location:
What your story is (in a few sentences. 200 words or less):

In solidarity,
Rivka
Rivka (at) ThatTakesOvaries (dot) org

RivkaRivka

UPDATE: NO MORE STORIES NEEDED AT THIS TIME. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME YR STORIES NOW. WE ARE ALL SET! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED. -- RIVKA