1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Perfect is the Enemy of Good: Why Dr. Bateman's Decision on the CCC is Misguided

Discussion in 'Institute of Medicine (IOM) Government Contract' started by NotAllInMyHead, Oct 6, 2013.

1. NotAllInMyHead

NotAllInMyHead

http://thoughtsaboutme.com/2013/10/02/perfect-is-the-enemy-of-good/

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is at least the second thread on this specific article, though the bolding may be new. Not that this is a problem: these issues need to be thrashed out and discussed, and then we need a plan of action. This is only the beginning of a response.
  3. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    Yeah, where was Dr. Bateman all this time that the CDC has been using garbage like the Fukuda, the "Empirical" definition and other crap criteria?

Indeed, Perfect is the Enemy of Good!!! If we don't have the CCC, we'll have something worse, much worse!
    Delia and justinreilly like this.
  4. NotAllInMyHead

NotAllInMyHead

any chance this thread could be moved to the IOM category? thanks!
  5. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque

The thread has been moved.
  6. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Mercer Island Wa
    Fibromyalgia Network​
    Do you like Lyrica, Cymbalta or Savella? Have any of these meds cured you? Or has cognitive behavioral therapy been the answer for your fibromyalgia symptoms? According to the FibroCollaborative, a program funded by Pfizer and made up of 25 physicians, these would be your only options.1 This is what they promote as the roadmap to success, but actually, it is the roadmap to doom for all fibromyalgia patients.​
    You may have initially viewed the FDA-approval of Lyrica as a milestone, but chances are you did not know what was brewing behind the scenes. Soon after the FDA-approval of the three drugs, new criteria for fibromyalgia appeared in print in early 2010.2,3,4 They don’t require a doctor to examine or talk to you; identifying your illness has been reduced to filling out a 2-page form. The criteria were disguised as an easier way for primary care providers to diagnose fibromyalgia, but more than likely, it expands the diagnosis to anyone who has muscle pain and trouble sleeping.

Listing of doctors is included in the article including Lucinda Bateman, M.D. – Salt Lake City, UT

7. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Good find, Eco.

Also noticed Charles Lapp on the list.

They are part of Pfizers Fibro collaborative. The article says that the collaborative pushes CBT and Lyrica, CYmbalta and Savella as the only treatments for Fibro. The article also implies that the collaborative came up with the new shady definition. I wonder if that implication is true. There are cites, but I don't have access to med journals.

Bateman's sister died of ME and ME-related cancer. It's sad that she started out in good faith and now she has, at least to some degree, become a tool of the anti-science lobby- CAA, CDC, IOM and apparently Pfizer.

See more popular forum discussions.