• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Percentage of PWC's with Methylation 'blocks'/defects...

dannybex

I was wondering if anyone (Rich?) knows what percentage of folks with ME/CFS who have had the methylation panel run have been shown to have problems with methylation?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

richvank

I was wondering if anyone (Rich?) knows what percentage of folks with ME/CFS who have had the methylation panel run have been shown to have problems with methylation?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Hi, Dan.

It will be interesting to see how the poll comes out. I don't have a percentage to give you, but I would say that nearly all the test results I've seen from PWMEs/PWCs have shown problems with methylation. Most also have glutathione depletion, but there is a subset that doesn't show glutathione depletion. I think they have genetic polymorphisms with the enzymes that make use of glutathione (the glutathione peroxidases and the glutathione transferases), based on the data I have, which is not very voluminous.

Best regards,

Rich