Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Per Fink article: "Stig Gerdes helps to intensify conflicts" (on Katrina Hansen, GET, CBT, etc.)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This is by Per Fink, a Danish psychiatrist.

I think most people won't like it.

He talks about death threats in other countries e.g. UK.

He mentions how the approach is recognised e.g. with the NICE guidelines for CFS/ME in the UK.

He talks about patients being prejudiced against CBT, GET and the like.

He claims Katrina Hansen isn't being treated involuntarily - which is news to me.

http://www.dagensmedicin.dk/opinion/debat/stig-gerdes-er-med-til-at-optrappe-konflikter/

http://translate.google.com/transla...stig-gerdes-er-med-til-at-optrappe-konflikter

Valentijn likes this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I'm guessing he thinks that these are all one problem, with different manifestations.

Bob and Valentijn like this.
  3. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    And the Gestapo were chronically misunderstood philanthropists engaged in segregating Non-Aryans for their own good, yup.....

/sarcasm :rolleyes:

justy likes this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

So many violent attacks against him and his colleagues. Is it five of them killed now?

Or just two or three sworn at?

Dolphin, taniaaust1, Sean and 2 others like this.
  5. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England

6. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    When you read those personal stories, they don't actually say that they have got better, just that they now feel that they are no alone and they have been given a name for what the problem is....
    It's a tragedy if the health professionals simply see us as needing a bit of support and counselling and have no interest in pursuing the nature of the dis-ease. How blinkered can people be?

What a waste of resources and a disservice to patients.

Sean, justy, A.B. and 2 others like this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I have replied to this elsewhere. Hmmm, let me see if I can find some of that. This is from Facebook:

http://www.dagensmedicin.dk/.../stig-gerdes-er-med-til.../
    http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=da...

Source: Co-Cure posting on 9/06/14

When have psychobabblers ever been proved right? Never. Yet they claim they are right. Some claim that critics do not understand the literature. They further claim that there are thousands of papers supporting their position, or that review papers in major journals, or textbook chapters, mean they are right.

If there are so many studies proving they are right, I have a question for them: NAME ONE!?

I think we need a NAME ONE campaign. If they are so right, name one study. If they are ever game to name one, then the fun begins ... I would be very interested to read one that is actually good science, and which is replicated independently, and has substantive objective evidence etc. In the meantime if they are game enough to name one, we can easily disprove their claim.

taniaaust1, A.B. and Valentijn like this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Like all those poor deranged people in Russia and China?

SilverbladeTE likes this.
  9. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    I thought the FB page was started by Karina's parents, or at least had considerable input from them.

I don't understand the death threats that keep rearing their ugly heads. If they are real, then the people making them should be prosecuted. I suspect they are the usual Internet hyperbole.

justy, Valentijn and Tito like this.
  10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Prime Minister David Cameron of the UK made comments to the effect that rioters "would pay". He was not misunderstood. If someone says that on the internet it can be used as spin to claim "death threats".

Personally I hope they all pay, as in the science advances and their psychobabble is discredited, patients initiate legal action and sue them, unethical conduct gets exposed and they lose their medical licenses, criminal activity comes to light and they are prosecuted .... each according to which misdeeds they are responsible for. Yet we cannot presume that everyone in the system is to blame (responsibility is a separate question) as the victims include doctors, bureaucrats and politicians who are fed hype, spin and falsehoods.

SilverbladeTE, justy and Valentijn like this.
  11. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

If these are the best success stories they can come up with, then they got nothing. Neither of these patients seem to have gotten better, they just seem happy to have their suffering acknowledged and accepted (ironically, that these patients felt rejected by doctors and family was most likely the result of biopsychosocial explanations in the first place).

In the long run this may end up being a disadvantage though because there's probably quite a bit that can be done treating the symptoms as biochemical problem.

PS: One might add that many patients who previously felt rejected and undiagnosed will feel relief in finally getting a diagnosis and treatment. Whether the diagnosis and treatment are correct and lead to objective improvement is another matter entirely.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Sidereal, taniaaust1, Sean and 2 others like this.
  12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

The question is, are they saying that its OK now, what they have is understood? Then leaving them with no chance of cure? Is this medicine by psychiatric placebo, without hope of real recovery?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Valentijn and taniaaust1 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.