• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Peptide T for XMRV

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
Do you people think its worth trying and will the prices go down once the demand increases?

I agree with Knackered. But if you are in the states it may not be so easy.

http://www.aids.org/atn/a-119-01.html

"FDA agents recently visited Peninsula Laboratories, in Belmont, California, and told them that some of their peptide T, sold for animal research, "was actually being used by people and that the commerce must stop."

"The FDA has a well-known policy of allowing importation for personal use of limited amounts of drugs approved elsewhere but not in the U. S., under certain conditions. Apparently peptide T does not meet the guidelines for this policy, however, since it is not approved as a drug in any country.'"

cfs since 1998

"FDA agents recently visited Peninsula Laboratories, in Belmont, California, and told them that some of their peptide T, sold for animal research, "was actually being used by people and that the commerce must stop."

That is ridiculous.

FDA = Fascist Dictator Administration

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
That is ridiculous.

FDA = Fascist Dictator Administration

Yeah, I know. I do think that article is a few years old now, and referring to AIDS patients. But still, nothing has changed.

This is from another article on the same site,

http://www.aids.org/atn/a-084-07.html

When Bristol-Myers acquired the license for peptide T some people anticipated the pharmaceutical giant would speed up testing of the drug and resolve the lingering questions about its efficacy. However, the trial's pace was not increased. The company withdrew from the license in May, 1989. Susan Yarin, manager of public affairs for pharmaceuticals at Bristol-Myers, said, "We determined that peptide T's antiviral activity against the HIV-1 virus is limited."

Some of the drug's supporters said the firm's decision had a strong financial component, namely to concentrate the millions of dollars necessary for large phase II trials on DDI.

Seems the "Fascist Dictator Administration" are in cahoots with the Fascist Dictator Corporations to keep profits up and remission down.

jewel

Wow. I can barely keep up reading today, with all of the interesting threads...Thank you, thank you to all that have posted links and pasted info. This is mind-boggling...a possible medication, presumably that helps people's cognitive function and memory, while decreasing their fatigue, and having no known negative side effects...is shelved, because it does not decrease the viral loads of patients. Am I reading this right? This has long been an illness (set of illnesses) where symptom relief is all that has been offered... A medicine for sleep that increases the patient's daytime fatigue, a medicine for pain that increases GI symptoms and fatigue, an antidepressant for the sleep and pain that increases patient's weight, which now causes other symptoms, a stimulant to offset the sedation of all of the above...you get my drift. I would love to have something that gets at the root or roots of this stranglehold on my life, but I would happily settle in the interim for something that improves my ability to think and function, without side effects. The side effects always find me. (That is, when I am lucky enough to have a physician who believes me enough to try to prescribe anything...) And, many medications are symptom relief medications...do antihistamines cure allergies? Do cold medicines cure colds? I can't help but think there is big money somewhere in this. It is just confusing why they dropped it; even if it did not drop the viral load for HIV or for HHV6, it could have improved the lives of people infected with it. All those years. Ok, it's past 11 and now I really need to go to bed (or should I reach for an Ambien first?) Nighty-night! J.

Can anyone explain how to order peptides? I found so many sites but they require so much information. Genscript seems to be a good one, anyone heard of them?

http://www.genscript.com/peptide_list.html

EDIT: I found Peptide T: http://www.genscript.com/german/peptide/RP13035-Peptide_T_ASTTTNYT.html
purity > 95%, 5 mg, price $95.00...lol...with 3mg/day...about $1,700.00 a month...way too expensive :-(

This site (german) requires sequence, t-terminus, n-terminus, modifications, purity, amount so I have no clue what to enter: http://www.peptidsynthese.de/bestellung.html

Jenny

Just got this email - weird or what!

Are these prices any cheaper?

Jenny

Dear Sir/Madam,

Are you still paying high prices for peptide synthesis services? With our State-of-Art
management and technology, Peptide 2.0's custom peptide service boasts both one of the
highest success rates in the industry (> 95%) and significantly lower production costs.

Please view the quote below to see how Peptide 2.0, Inc. can save you:

The costs are based on a 15mer peptide, 10mg and 85% purity.

Peptide 2.0 price after fall discount is $165
The other companies price are from $350 to $760

Our prices are usually 50% of that of our competitors.

Please visit us at http://peptideSynthesis.org/

John J. Miller, Ph.D.
Director of Marketing
Web: http://peptideSynthesis.org/

To unsubscribe from this list, please click here:
http://peptideSynthesis.org/peptide_synthesis_rem.php

subtr4ct

Some of the drug's supporters said the firm's decision had a strong financial component, namely to concentrate the millions of dollars necessary for large phase II trials on DDI.

This caused me to wonder about the relative sizes of the HIV and CFS markets (although it is, of course, sad that this is a factor in such decisions). In the recent Mikovitz-Cheney conversation, Mikovitz threw out the rough estimate that about 1 million people might have CFS in the U.S. According to this, about 1.2 million people in the U.S. are HIV positive. It would seem that Peptide T may need to be very effective against XMRV for the patent holder to be compelled to invest -- especially with only a few years left on the patent. Once the trials were over, there would likely be little time left for them to capitalize on their investment.

jace

Off the fence
Candace Pert is co-founder of http://www.rapidpharma.com/ - RAPID Pharmaceuticals (Receptor Active Peptides Into Drugs). They are developing Peptide-T therapy for many diseases, but not ours.... Maybe someone smarter than I am just now could make an evaluation?

natasa778

In the recent Mikovitz-Cheney conversation, Mikovitz threw out the rough estimate that about 1 million people might have CFS in the U.S. According to this, about 1.2 million people in the U.S. are HIV positive

And at least one in 100 children have autism, if peptide-t is of help... what would that add to market size in US alone?

jewel

Good point. It would be amazing if this helped the neurological symptoms of autism.

Trooper

Do you people think its worth trying and will the prices go down once the demand increases?

I think it might be worth a good look at, I guess it might make sense to get tested for XMRV first - maybe not... If it was cheap enough and the safety double checked, I would have a go :)

It seems Peptide T has already been in demand (?) but that still hasn't made it affordable to everyone - yet.

Trooper

Just got this email - weird or what!

Are these prices any cheaper?

Jenny

Dear Sir/Madam,

Are you still paying high prices for peptide synthesis services? With our State-of-Art
management and technology, Peptide 2.0's custom peptide service boasts both one of the
highest success rates in the industry (> 95%) and significantly lower production costs.

Please view the quote below to see how Peptide 2.0, Inc. can save you:

The costs are based on a 15mer peptide, 10mg and 85% purity.

Peptide 2.0 price after fall discount is $165
The other companies price are from $350 to $760

Our prices are usually 50% of that of our competitors.

Please visit us at http://peptideSynthesis.org/

John J. Miller, Ph.D.
Director of Marketing
Web: http://peptideSynthesis.org/

To unsubscribe from this list, please click here:
http://peptideSynthesis.org/peptide_synthesis_rem.php

:) That's odd you got sent this one!

This one, even without shipping etc would still work out at $50/32 a day (taking 3mg) - So no, it's 3x (ish) more than the other place - using very rough maths. :S

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
^^ What machines and what raw material do we need to make protein T?

No one has responded to this or your earlier question yet. I just want to put it back up. It sounds to me like we have someone who has the desire/means to try this out, so if anyone has the technical knowledge, do you have any info to help him/her out? I would really love to see someone try this and share their experience.

Trooper

I've had a little dig around and found this peptide synthesizer...

http://cem.com/page202.html

This page states "The Liberty1 peptide synthesizer is ideal for anyone performing peptide research, including those who buy their peptides."

It looks interesting... you add your ingredients, hook it up to a computer, put in the order of the peptide you want and press go! (I bet it's actually 1000x more complicated than that!)

Peptide T's chain contains these residues (amino acids) in this order - Ala-Ser-Thr-Thr-Thr-Asn-Tyr-Thr

(full names - Alanine - Serine - Threonine - Threonine - Threonine - Asparagine - Tyrosine - Threonine)

I think there are also two other functional groups that go on each end.

I don't know what other materials are necessary - but you would of course need a supply of the amino acids. There is a price sheet from the same site here - as you will see, 100 grams of each one (apart from one) is over $250USD - I have no idea how much yield you would get from this...

http://cem.com/e107_files/public/pdf/reagent_price_list_oct._2008.pdf

... for all I know this could be a very expensive place to buy amino acids and there could be another source that is much cheaper.

There is no stated price for the machine above - this probably means it's very expensive. However this is just one way of synthesizing proteins (using microwaves). There are more methods listed here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peptide_synthesis

I guess you would also need a very good understanding of practical molecular/organic chemistry. I am not sure how the patent laws would work with regard to home synthesis. And I dont think you could then legally sell it on without being approved as a commercial biotech lab? Hmmmm.

Looking at those prices of the raw amino acids, I can start to see why the commercially available Peptide T is so expensive.

subtr4ct

An in-law who is a post-doc in molecular chemistry informs me that the peptides that are custom-synthesized by speciallty services for research purposes are generally not safe for human consumption. Something about the way they are prepared and the buffers that they are stored in. Maybe there are services that would prepare a human-safe version. If you are seriously thinking about trying this avenue, be very careful.

Hope123

And at least one in 100 children have autism, if peptide-t is of help... what would that add to market size in US alone?

I don't know about this. Autism might be as diverse as CFS so some may have XMRV, others not. Also, when I've gone over my notes, the small number of kids with autism that tested postivie for XMRV had a person with CFS already in the family. As we know from Defreitas and a few other studies, a viral cause for CFS might also affect family members who nonetheless remain healthy so even if these kids have XMRV, is it causal or something they have from being around CFS family members? I haven't heard of a child with autism being tested who does not have family members with CFS. If anyone knows, please post.

cfs since 1998

An in-law who is a post-doc in molecular chemistry informs me that the peptides that are custom-synthesized by speciallty services for research purposes are generally not safe for human consumption. Something about the way they are prepared and the buffers that they are stored in. Maybe there are services that would prepare a human-safe version. If you are seriously thinking about trying this avenue, be very careful.

I echo this sentiment. The "85% purity" that the online sources are offering does not sound like an appealing number.

mezombie

NCI May Study Peptide-T for XMRV in ME/CFS

Candace Pert is co-founder of http://www.rapidpharma.com/ - RAPID Pharmaceuticals (Receptor Active Peptides Into Drugs). They are developing Peptide-T therapy for many diseases, but not ours.... Maybe someone smarter than I am just now could make an evaluation?

Two researchers from RAPIDpharma, including Candace Pert, are involved with a National Cancer Institute Study on XMRV and CFS. The study is headed by Dr. Sandy Ruscetti.

From her NCI webpage:

Cancer and Neuroimmune Diseases Induced by the Human Retrovirus XMRV

We are currently using knowledge and reagents obtained from working with mouse retroviruses to study the xenotropic MuLV-related human retrovirus XMRV, which was recently discovered through an association with prostate cancer. In collaboration with the laboratories of Judy Mikovits and Frank Ruscetti, we were able to use antibodies developed against the envelope protein of SFFV to detect infectious XMRV in the blood cells and plasma of patients suffering from the neuroimmune disease chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). We were further able to develop a seroconversion assay using cells expressing the SFFV envelope protein to detect antibodies against the virus in the plasma of CFS patients. We now plan to apply our knowledge of the pathogenesis of mouse retroviruses that cause cancer and neurological disease in rodents to study the molecular basis for similar diseases associated with XMRV. We are in the process of developing rodent models for determining the biological effects of XMRV in vivo, which if successful will provide a small animal model for preclinical testing of potential anti-XMRV drugs. In addition, we are testing both in vitro and in vivo the biological effects of the envelope protein of XMRV, which like its related SFFV counterpart may be responsible for the pathogenicity of XMRV.

Collaborators:

Collaborators on this research are Dr. Frank Ruscetti, Laboratory of Experimental Immunology, CCR, NCI; Dr. Larry Keefer, Laboratory of Comparative Carcinogenesis, CCR, NCI; Dr. Judy Mikovits, Whittemore Peterson Institute; Drs. Candace Pert and Michael Ruff, RAPID Pharmaceuticals.

Trooper

I echo this sentiment. The "85% purity" that the online sources are offering does not sound like an appealing number.

I totally agree. Plus if you were able to afford to set up a home lab and hire a chemist etc, you could probably afford to just buy it.